Insurance question....

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
I know that insurance has been covered many times before on here, but I've got a question that doesn't seem to have been covered before.

I've got an L-reg K11 1.0LX and I'm paying just over £450 a year on insurance.

I've had a quote on a super-s of the same age and it's only about £50 more expensive.

I will not be selling my car, for several reasons, but mainly because it's been in the family many years and I know it's been well taken care of and I managed to buy it cheap off my Dad. So selling it and buying a super-s just isn't an option right now.

There have been no modifications to the performance of the car, although it has had exterior changes - it has super-s front and rear bumpers, super-s fogs, spoiler and mud flaps. From the outside, it now looks like a super-s. However, I've found that to declare these modifications on a 1.0LX with the insurance company would cost me far, far more than the additional £50 to insure a super-s of the same age.

So, heres my question....Having read about 1.3 conversions on here and the need to inform the DVLA and insurance company of this (and the big increase in the insurance premium connected with this), would it not be possible to simply re-register the car (after a 1.3 conversion) with the DVLA as a 1.3 super s? As for all intents and purposes, it will be one, or very close to at that.

Maybe I'm just being daft, but if it worked it could save me a lot of money since buying a super-s just isn't an option right now.....

I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure it would cost more to insure than a Super S purely on the fact that it is a modified car. I'm not sure about the re-registering either, would it have to be SVA tested as a 'new' car for instance ? or would it be re-registered on an age related plate ? either way I can't see it being cheap.

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
that's what you do, for the remainder of a period you have to declare the engine conversion and re-register it as a 1.3

But after that, you can just insure off the registration plate as usual and it will be a 1.3 micra

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
that's what you do, for the remainder of a period you have to declare the engine conversion and re-register it as a 1.3

But after that, you can just insure off the registration plate as usual and it will be a 1.3 micra

Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I understand you correctly Phil, your saying that you go ahead with the 1.3 conversion, re-register it with the DVLA on the original plate as a 1.3 super-s (or 1.3LX or something, I say super-s as practicaly all my mods so far have been super-s parts!) and declare this to your insurance company until the end of the policy.

Then once you apply for a new policy, the registration plate search will find it as a 1.3 super-s Micra and then you'll just be insuring it as a regular super-s?

As Sonic mentioned, does anyone know what the situation with SVA tests, etc would be with this? I'd have thought that surely if the new engine capacity and engine number was recorded with the DVLA it shouldn't be an issue as all the parts are coming from a Micra anyway?

I think what I'm confused about is at what point a series of modifications actually becomes another model of car and how you go about changing your model of car.

I've got absolutely no problem paying an extra £50 or £60 a year and have all my modifications covered by re-registering it as a 1.3 super-s, but I think its stupid having to pay several hundred pounds more for insurance just because I've modded my LX by adding some standard super-s parts.....

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
the car won't need re-testing as it has no chassis modifications.

However, when you declare the engine change during current premium the insurance company may insist on sending an engineer to do a report of the work to ensure it's done to a safe standard.

You fill out the detail changes on the V5 and pay the bill

may i ask how many year no claims and convictions u have as the price u are paying is kinda expensive seeing as im only 20 and paying 350 on my 1 litre k11 with every modification de-clared!

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
the car won't need re-testing as it has no chassis modifications.

However, when you declare the engine change during current premium the insurance company may insist on sending an engineer to do a report of the work to ensure it's done to a safe standard.

You fill out the detail changes on the V5 and pay the bill

Thanks for that. So I think I know what I'm doing with the engine capacity, but there seems to be no space on the V5 where the vehicle model (eg: LX, SLX, Super-S, etc) can be changed? Is this a case of sending off a covering letter to the DVLA in the hope that they will amend my vehicle model description at the same time as changing the engine capacity?

may i ask how many year no claims and convictions u have as the price u are paying is kinda expensive seeing as im only 20 and paying 350 on my 1 litre k11 with every modification de-clared!

I have 1 years no claims and no convictions mate. However I've only held my licence for 18 months, so that might have an impact on things. Also, I see that you live in Cornwall, which isn't exactly the crime capital of Britain is it? Wish I lived there lol :)

Out of interest though, who are you with micra.jas?

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Sorry I have to bump this thread... the possibility of the 1.4 conversion has come early. The mechanic has managed to get a hold of a 1.4 engine in excellent condition - under 28k miles... for £160. What would this do to my insurance? I'm paying £418 at the mo. for a 1.0l auto. Would it slap on another £100? What if I said that... the 1.0 blew and it was hard to source a 1.0 so he went for a 1.4... but I think realisticly that might not be viable as I intend to chuck in the 1.4 gbox as well... and ecu... and TB... please advise. Cheers.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
The only people who can help you there is the insurance company. Ring them and ask!

With regards to changing the Model on the V5, i was by people on here that couldnt be done. Only the engine size / colour.