insurance prices :( :(

last week i passed my test and i am now looking for insurance but as i am 18 im getting prices of £3000 at the cheapest as a named driver is there any way i can get it cheaper seem abit steep for a 1 litre k10 any help

My first insurance policy was 10 months (instead of 12)
I was 19
The car was a k10, 1.0, 1990 3dr LS
3rd party fire and theft
With my mum as a named driver
Paid £650...ish...but that was in 2005 ^_^

If it's your car, you will use it most of the time, you must put yourself as the main driver on the policy.
Adding a relative with a decent no claims and at least over 25 as a named driver should help.
You could also be a victim of your post code.
If I lived with my aunt in Glasgow my premium goes up, a fair bit
But I live in a quiet town outside Portsmouth.

Consider going with a provider that is made for young/inexperienced drivers.
Also consider black box...your premium will still start high but if you proove to them you're a lower risk your premium should reduce ;)

cant go black box they say its to old but an option is my father to take out traders insurance with all his plant machinery and me added on i know a 17 year old kid up the road had a bmw 318 on a trade insurance cost him 700 so a micra should be less but its a last resort

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Mate that alot. My K10 super s only cost me £1500 for my first year and I am 18. It goes down to £700 next year.

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
you will find the micra more expensive than a bigger engine'd volvo for example. micra's are easy to steal, dont hold up well in a crash, no alarm/immobiliser standard, no air bags, no abs etc.

im currently having the same issue with my k11 i usually pay monthly with my premiums,on my 1991 1.4 Honda civic i was paying £87 a month last year and now on a 1 litre k11 im getting quotes of £150+ a month, im 21 and have been passed for atleast 2 years.. insurance seems to be increasing day by day

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
plus insurance meglomamoth companys change the rules to suit themselfs regularly,,,,,,like monthly :)

for example the ncb rules and the diffiiculty insuring nuclear facilitys :)

new fision parts arriving daily'n' ish

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
'Named driver NCB' isn't recognised by most insurers so be very careful with that

I doubt that would matter after a new driver has been on their parents policy for 1-2 years, then taken on their own policy under the same insurer. Most mainline insurer's now offer this service which rewards new drivers through good driving and loyalty to the insurer. Unless the consumer can get a better price point with less NCD then another insurer isn't likely to win the business.

Sky Insurance

Official MSC Trader
I doubt that would matter after a new driver has been on their parents policy for 1-2 years, then taken on their own policy under the same insurer. Most mainline insurer's now offer this service which rewards new drivers through good driving and loyalty to the insurer. Unless the consumer can get a better price point with less NCD then another insurer isn't likely to win the business.

The point is though, you are tied in with the insures who do recognise the named driver NCB so less choice when you shop around, also, if you stay with that same insurer for a couple of years and then move, you are not going to have any actual NCB in your own name. The difference between a driver with no NCB and say 2 or 3 years NCB is potentially huge.