Instrument faults

Hi. New to this, so apologies in advance for protocol breaches and thanks for any advice that anyone may have. My otherwise excellent June 2000 K11 1.0 litre petrol Micra has recently started to have instrument problems. First of all, the fuel gauge started showing empty, then the speedo started flicking about all over the place and the same with the temp. gauge, then all instruments died altogether, with only occaisional and increasingly rare guest appearances. All fuses and instrument panel lights (including low fuel) are intact. The speedo and the temp gauge have come back (but still with minor random flicks/outages) after I had the instrument console out but the fuel gauge is still dead. The fuel tank float pinouts give 70 ohms full and 200 ohms empty and there's 12 odd volts on the loom connector to the float when the ignition is on. I tried to get a wiring diagram from my local Nissan dealer but no joy there and I'm keen to find out what pin does what in the instrument console 28 pin connector. Or, even better, does anyone else have any experience of this fault and know what the problem is. All advice much appreciated

Manny

Ex. Club Member
welcome to the club. sounds like it could be the instrument cluster itself. see if you can borrow one then you know where you stand.

OP
OP
N
Thanks Manny for the advice and the speed of your reply. I'll try and get my hands on one this week and'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
N
Hi Manny, Great advice, thanks very much. I borrowed an instrument cluster as you recommended and the fuel gauge and all instruments were fine. Went off in the afternoon to the local salvage yard, bought a replacement for £35, popped it in, good as new. Terrific fix, very grateful for the information. I dread to think how much it all would have cost if a garage had done it. The forum is a tremendous place to exchange information and I'll visit again.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
Hi Manny, Great advice, thanks very much. I borrowed an instrument cluster as you recommended and the fuel gauge and all instruments were fine. Went off in the afternoon to the local salvage yard, bought a replacement for £35, popped it in, good as new. Terrific fix, very grateful for the information. I dread to think how much it all would have cost if a garage had done it. The forum is a tremendous place to exchange information and I'll visit again.

good news nice to see you here