Instrument Cluster gone abit nuts? (LEDs)

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
anyone here tried putting LEDs into the instrument cluster on a facelift K11?

by LEDs i mean the four illuminate ones and the one behind the digital clock.

NOT indicator/warning lights (left these as standard bulbs). just the illuminate ones are now LEDs.

becuase the queer thing is. i have. and sinse, everytime i indicate, or use high beam, most of the other warning lights on the cluster also light up ever so slightly.

anyone with any electrical knowledge have a clue about this or at least seen it happen before?

would be a shame if i have to put my standard illuminate blubs back in becuase they look pretty good now.

thanks guys and good nite!

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
never seen it before but some random thoughts...

does the power rating match of the replacement ones? was it like for like?

and... did you screw everything back on properly... may be some part is loose so light is being directed elsewhere etc.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Sounds like they are too bright and are lighting everythin else up, not a problem though if its only slightly. If you replaced the standard bulbs with 5w LEDs it should be fine but if you used, for example, 21w LEDs you will have problems

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
weird. only happens when the sidelights (or more) are on.

also the leds would have a much lower power rating than normal bulbs.

swiper: did you just put LEDs in the bits that just light up when you put your side lights on or did you put LEDs in all the warning/indicator lights too?

also i used these but in white:

http://www.ultraleds.com/
(cant paste full link for some reason but its in here:)
p » Catalogue » Car / Motorbike 12v Led Bulbs » U286BB3

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Have you tried beating it with a hammer? You'd be better off sticking with bulbs and getting colored caps for them

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Sounds like they are too bright and are lighting everythin else up, not a problem though if its only slightly. If you replaced the standard bulbs with 5w LEDs it should be fine but if you used, for example, 21w LEDs you will have problems

21w leds....! o_O

It could be an earthing problem.

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
its nothing to do with the brightness of the LEDs. Could it be something to do with the fact half the cluster is using LEDs (polarity sensitive) and the indicator light (ie battery light) still got standard bulbs in?... other then that, clueless. plus it seems intermittent just to be even more annoying.