Installing Super S dials into K10 LS... ?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Just wondering how I would install Super S dials with the rev counter in my K10 LS as it does not have a rev counter. Is it easy and do I require any additional parts other than the new dial cluster.

Thanks

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
I have looked in the Haynes manual which seems to be a waste of time. How will I setup the rev counter and adjust the milage? Anyone?

O

ohc_turbo

i know on the k11 after a certan year the loom without a rev counter does have the plug for it but obviously dosent use it.

maybe if youve got a late k10 it might have the takoff for the rev counter, its not that hard to make it work.

the haynes will tell you the wireing diagram for the rev counter so you can make up the wires yourself it may need a 12v feed, not sure

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Hi James. That post does not cover the Super S dials with the Rev counter? My problem is how do I connect this on a car that did not originally have a rev gauge?

O

ohc_turbo

dosent the haynes manual cover the facelift micra or the special editions, im sure if you got a late published haynes it would tell you, they borrow a lot of schematic pictures and the wiring diagrams from the actual nissan service manual

S

sketch

The guide would be right except the live that you use for the clock, use for the rev.

Simply get both the dials and check were each set run to and check against the wiring configuration on each. If one needs moving, move it.

you can tell by looking at the run, were each one goes to and which are earths etc. simple jot down each one.
go to the super S and see which slot each go to. then transfer the wires to there.

You may require another plug, from super S as i believe some were different.

But it means you may require to do some working out yourself. the Haynes will tell you what wiring it is. except it wont tell you how to swap dials, as this is NOT what it is for, but it does give the wiring.

J

Jim

Elliot did this recently (as I sold him the dials) so no doubt he can offer a helping hand...

M

Mulbers

Hi,

I now have the dials that Jim sold Elloit. Im having problems with the install as well now.

The trouble im having is that i have an LS which doesnt have a clock to begin with. So i have too many wires from the dials as to what i had originaly. Its a bugger. Anything that has ben posted doesnt go from LS dials to Super s. I know james had done an update to the guide but im still non the wiser.

D

Djdr1veB1

Very interested in any further info as i will also be putting a set of dials with a rev counter, ming you i might just use the gauge i bought if it's to complicated!!!

O

ohc_turbo

i was in the same position as you mulbers, lucky enought i had a spare front loom with the clock, easy way is to source a loom from the scrapyard and install it in youre car, one of the plugs is a stright swap, now you have to get youre old loom and carefully get the smaller 8 pin plug off and tap it into the clock loom as the super s cluster dosent use the same plug, you will get what i mean when you come to do this.

M

Mulbers

When you say loom you dont mean just the connectors do you?

What does the loom consist of? Maybe a daft question i know. I aint too great on the electrical side of things i must say.But im learning.

Cheers

M

Mulbers

Just posted in the guide, a diagram of what the super S dials connectors are. Just need someone, if they would, to list what each number is next to it, then i can work out what goes where.

Thanks

I have done this not so long ago...
I have made a diagram for you, so i think although my english is not so good installing SuperS dials will be understandable and easy ;)
but first... some explanations...
1. I dont have LS but LX K10.. but i dont think that there is a difference in dials...
2. In standard dials there are 2 connectors, both with 10 pins (witch gives us 20 pins). In SuperS dials there are 3 connectors, first has 10 pins, second has 8, and there is a 2 pin connector coming out straight from the speedometer... (witch gives us 20 pins).
3. Everything I will tell you now will be from the perspective like you would be looking at the back of the dials...

ok.. so... lets start :)
first... the easy part... the right connector... it's the same connector only that its horizontal now... we just have to change one cable here, and it's the cable from the rev counter... you have to connect it to the coil, and be sure to connect it thru 2,2kOhm resistor... when you do it... we're done here ;)

second... the hard part... the left connector... as you can see the connector from the standard dials is 2 pins longer... i solved this problem by cutting off one "section" and glueing two parts together:
SuperS_dials2LXconn.jpg

now it is the time for rewireing this connector... i think that everything you'll need is on the diagram:
SuperS_dials2LX.jpg

(on the right connector there are "Long lights"... its just because i dont know how do you call them in english ;) )

If you have any suggestions, or if I have done any mistakes please tell me...

O

ohc_turbo

if you get a plug from a L which has 8 pins it will fit in the super s cluster, you can extract the wires from the plug without harming it so you do the above and pull out the wires and put them into the new plug in the right order, if that makes sense, saves you chopping and splicing

ohc_turbo said:
you can extract the wires from the plug without harming it so you do the above and pull out the wires and put them into the new plug in the right order
that's just what i did...

I haven't really seen any L K10's in Poland.... only LX's...
anyway as you said "chopping and splicing" took smth about 2 minutes... not a lot of time and work... i think less than removing a plug from other car...

M

Mulbers

Just got to wire it up tonight. and the verdict is...... Arse.

The wiring diagram posted by lawina was a big help. I think lawina's wiring is quite a bit different from mine tho.

The rev counter works but only when the left indecator is on. It jumps up and down, quite funny.

I will get hold of a test lamp tomorrow so i can try and work through it a bit more.

Anymore ideas?

Cheers

O

ohc_turbo

the easiest way is to look at both speedos, the clock one and the rev counter one, trace the copper wires from the pins to where it ends, ie. one of the easiest pins is the indicator as on the copper strip it has something like r turn or similar same for the left indicator, others go to the handbrake light, oil light etc. etc. there are only a few wires which i had a guess at, and i suppose i guessed right as the car hasnt blown up yet

M

Mulbers

I did have a go at that once before. Blew a few fuses,on the car and a few of my own.lol. Thanks for the advice though.

does the rev counter react in any way when you rev the engine? or does it only reacts when you use indicator?
please tell me is the other stuff working? (temp, fuel, etc.)...
I'm in school now, but when i'll be back home i'll post a picture of where to connect the cable to the coil... because i think that this is the problem...

does the rev counter react in any way when you rev the engine? or does it only reacts when you use indicator?
please tell me is the other stuff working? (temp, fuel, etc.)...
I'm in school now, but when i'll be back home i'll post a picture of where to connect the cable to the coil... because i think that this is the problem...

M

Mulbers

I have fitted the rev counter connector on to the negative side of the coil. It does change when i rev the engine, but it will only show when the left hand indicator clicks on and off. I dont know about the other items yet as I have not finished fitting the other block yet, i will be doing that tonight.

I think i must have an earth mixed up. My wires dont match up with anything anyone has posted yet. Very odd. Must be unique, lol.

Need to know what a few of the notes are on your diagram:

Chg?
Ill?
Ignition - I hazzard a guess at the battery positive??

Thanks for you help.

ILL - it's the illumination of the dials...
dont bother with ign and chg couse you DONT CHANGE ANY CABLES in this plug!!! (except of the wire to the coil)

M

Mulbers

I have to change them. your LX conectors are different from my LS ones. So are the Super S ones. Iv had a go tonight got all the switchs working on the Left side(looking at the back). The dial lights come on when the lights are off and they go off when i trun the lights on.

In the guide section it shows my ls conectors. I have also drawn up one for the Super S.

The right side i have big problems with. There are too many wires that i dont know what they do. There are a few spare bulb holders that have wires going to them. But they dont tie up with anything on the super s.

Elloit, what did you make of the diagram?

Cheers

M

Mulbers

I did I did it!!

Ha ha, well a freind of mine did. I will post a diagram of how i done it for you soon.

Thanks for your help guys.

M

Mulbers

its a 90/91 it is a face lift one. I am working on it at the mo. Il post it as soon as iv finished it. I guess your having the same problems as i did with the information provided.

Cheers

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Mine is pre-fce lift (which does not have electronic ignition standerd). I have added electronic ignition which caues mis-readings on aftermarked rpm gauges :(

M

Mulbers

I wouldnt know about that sort of thing i must say. I have nearly done the diagram for you (and whoever else needs it). Once iv finished the work on mine il post some pics of it.

simmo

Official micra geek!
hey, im thinking of putting in a super s set of dials with rev counter, i have exactly the same car as you i think. A 1990 with bog standard dials. Not even a clock to tell the time! if you could send me some kind of wiring diagram i would be most greatful!!! my email address is [email protected]
cheers!!!

M

Mulbers

I shall do that as soon as i find it. I had it all drawn out nicely and has since gone walk abouts. i will post a proper drawing i done on cad of it soon as well. prob see if the guide could be updated.

simmo

Official micra geek!
cheers that would be great! Would be greatfull if you could email me with it thought as i cant view the guides section.

M

Mulbers

simmo said:
cheers that would be great! Would be greatfull if you could email me with it thought as i cant view the guides section.

Best get yourself a full membership then. ha ha.

Yea no worries. Will sort it out the weekend for you.

Cheers

simmo

Official micra geek!
bump

don't supose you could sort that out for me please mate? I have my dials arriving this week! :d

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Just out of interest is the rev counter speed fed by an electronic speed pulse? If so my pre-face lift micra must not have this right?

Still.. no answer how to install a Super S dail into a car without a clock.. our Nissan Mica K10 1992 hasn't got a clock so the wire diagram that was posted somewhere above isn't compatible on this car... or is it??
I'm planning to install the Super S dail that i've got from the wreckjard today but i've tried the Dutch Micrafanclub site and as a result it gave me this site.. And all i can see is diagrams from LX/LS versions.

Can anyone assist me on this??

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
to fit the clock dials in a k10 with no clock you need to rewire the plug as the plugs are diffrent theres a wiring diagram somewhere il see if i can find it, the only diffrence instead of a 12v feed for the clock its a pulse from coil

I am now with this problem.
I have a instrument panel with rev counter and I am trying to intel it on my '85 K10, wich does not have a rev counter.
For the reason that my K10 is oldschool (a GL version), I dont think the plugs are the same of the scheme...
In other words, my K10 doesn't have the clock on the panel, but in the console, so I dont have the pin for the click on the right plug ..