Installing footwell lighting...

Sorry i managed to get this in the wrong section.. can it be moved to Trim etc...??

So.. after inquiring about this a while ago i made an attempt tonight. And success! its seriously easy to do as well...
i didn't take any pictures because its dark and cold outside (dark being easiest to make sure they're bright enough/in the right places..)
I bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281053019407?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648 LED strips. they're a bargin, not killer bright and white, rather than blue. They can also be cut to length (i took the last two LED's off so they fit right) and have 3M sticky stuff on the back to make life easy (they also come in ltos of colours if needs be..).

About 3m of two strand wire and a load of crimps and some electrical tape were needed too...

Firstly, i peeled back the door seal and popped off front A pillar cover (its only held on with two white body pegs/clips). I then popped off the centre light (pull down from the back by the switch) and fed the two-strand wire up, through there and towards the front right corner...stuck my hand in the corner and after some wiggling, found the end of the wire and pulled all but a few CM down. I then poked it down the same way the loom goes in this corner (out into the drivers footwell) and pulled it all through.

I then removed the lower centre console (two pins - one either side).
Cut about 40cm of wire, and crimp it to the 1st LED strip. This I stuck o'nt passenger side below and behind the glove box.

There's a lip, behind the little tray by the drivers knees which I attached the 2nd to, with the cables facing towards the centre console,

I taped the wire coming from the centre light to the loom, relatively taught so it doesn't hang low (but slack enough to move) and then shortened it enough so it and the 40cm from the passenger side could have their ends twisted and not hang low & be near the drivers LED strip. I clamped them into two crimps and then crimped the drivers LED wires into the other ends.

I made sure all the wires were tucked up or taped out of the way, but the centre console, A pillar and door seal back on.

I've not yet found a way to properly attach the ends of the wire to the two metal strips that hold the bulb - so far they are tightly wedged by lifting the strip up with a blade/screw driver and trapping them underneath but i'll do something more permanent asap..

A very long winded, but hopefully easy to follow rough-guide.. and i took a couple of pictures of the finished look - they're actually pure white...
(the GF saw the LEDs and thought i'd become a chav and was putting them UNDER the car.. oh dear...)

_MG_1941_zps9ccd71a0.jpg

IMG_1936_zps6ba390ed.jpg

IMG_1934_zpsa053ec19.jpg

Interesting...I guess you'll be wearing your pretty shoes when you drive from now on? :p

seriously though looks cool...do you think it will be distracting whilst driving?...or is it just corner of the eye like the CD display etc?

ETA: or is it linked to the door close switch? Ie: turns off with the cabin light.

OP
OP
dlewis
It's linked to the door close switch - I find the radio/dash lights distracting enough at night!

Problem is it also shows how grubby the car is 90% of the time...

I've also got a better festoon bulb turning up so the centre light isn't a dim yellow glow.. I'd be tempted to fit a strip in the boot somewhere too as they're hella-bright!

Cool ^_^

Hmm...get yourself some rubber car mats...easier to clean, last forever...well near enough... and look better too ;)

OP
OP
dlewis
the matts are sort of stapled in.. to hide the hole that has rubbed through to the foam underfloor!!! need to find a micra being broken and steal the floor carpet

There's a few on eaby ^_^
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203-2004-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab9fea795
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Niss...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56540cfc20
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194-2005-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abbea23f5
I'm pretty sure the floor carpet is the same for the 3 and 5 door models ;P
Obviously getting one from a newer/lower milage one is likely to be in better condition

....taking out the seats to get it ain't too hard I'm sure either (just a few bolts)
I think the centre trim (hamndbrake etc) might be a bit trickier..
...if you have a scrap yard near you to get one yourself that is ;)

OP
OP
dlewis
the centre trim is loose and rattles anyway.. an excuse to fix that down properly. Probably need to raid Leicestershires scrappies and see whats about - never thought of ebay as i didn't think micra's were cars people bothered to break for parts (especially whole floor carpet trays!!!).. useful though cheers, i'll keep an eye out!!

No problem, good luck with it

BTW it's always worth having a look on ebay for random stuff...you'll be amazed what people try to sell LOL

pollyp

Club Member
ah brill I'm gonna have to try this rather than ducktaping a massive bulky LED lamp under my dash whenever I'm video recording the pedals during trackdays :)

scaled.php

scaled.php

OP
OP
dlewis
the LED lamp + sock(& flipflops?!) track day'ing is impressive - its seriously easy to do and probably gives a much better spread than the lamp by the looks of it. if you have an questions drop me a PM although like i say its pretty easy..

pollyp

Club Member
the LED lamp + sock(& flipflops?!) track day'ing is impressive - its seriously easy to do and probably gives a much better spread than the lamp by the looks of it. if you have an questions drop me a PM although like i say its pretty easy..

that photo was when I was fitting it at home hence flipflops :p
obviously at trackdays I wore more suitable shoes.

indeed looks like the led strip bathes the footwell in bright light compared to the narrow torch-like beam of the led lamp. just wired directly to a switched 12v yea?

OP
OP
dlewis
wired into the roof lamp so come on with't doors - can be wired directly though if need sbe but i didn't want them on 24/7..

I did footwell lights with some blue LEDs with wires I bought at Walmart whilst I was in the US and then got power from one of the fuses in the cabin on the drivers' side, attached the negative to a grounding screw under the dash, ran the wires up behind the dashboard to a super stealthy switch and then cable tied the strips to the underside of the dashboard so that they light up the footwells :) incredibly pleased with how they turned out, plus they match my blue LED cabin light

I did footwell lights with some blue LEDs with wires I bought at Walmart whilst I was in the US and then got power from one of the fuses in the cabin on the drivers' side, attached the negative to a grounding screw under the dash, ran the wires up behind the dashboard to a super stealthy switch and then cable tied the strips to the underside of the dashboard so that they light up the footwells :) incredibly pleased with how they turned out, plus they match my blue LED cabin light

Hi i'm looking to change my interior light to blue but theres three bulbs? Do they sell led bulbs for the k12 in a pack and are they easy to fit? Thanks

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Last edited: