Installing cigarette lighter

In my W reg K11C, there's just a blank plug where the cig lighter should be. I've bought a cig lighter but I don't know how to connect it. Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather not be splicing anything but rather find an adapter if necessary. I'm a total car and electrical noob so go easy please... :)

I've attached some pictures of what's available behind the panel behind the gear box. The black and red cables are the ones coming from the cig lighter that I need to connect somehow. There's a bunch of other cables tied together with nothing loose (I've pictured these too). Only one available I see is the T shaped one.

Cheers folks

Attachments

• other cables.jpg
    other cables.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 988
  • red black 1.jpg
    red black 1.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 1,069
  • red black 2.jpg
    red black 2.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 1,089
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 1,036
the T plug is the cig 12v supply.
I suspect the black female blade connector is the cig lighters illumination plug. connect multimeter between it and chassis ground, should only receive voltage when headlights turned on.
dunno what the round red plug is.

I think mine must be different than most as it doesn't look like it has the connector for it. It did say universal on the packet though (I think it's Sakura). It already had another red cable for the led which I hadn't pictured. There's some more pics attached.

I'm guessing the only way would be to splice something together then (which I don't really want to) or buy a new one with the correct socket for that T shaped cable?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 572
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 658
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 637
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 606
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 633
ah they must've changed the wiring connectors on the facelifts. if it fits then it must work. best verify with multimeter too just in case.

I think I've confused you. When I fitted it I meant I simply placed it in the hole, unwired and not functioning, as a place holder. All I have available on the car is that T plug, which by the looks of other threads is indeed the appropriate one. The black and 2 red cables all came with the lighter. So it just seems I bought an 'alien' lighter, and need to buy another that accepts that T socket (Whats the name of that btw?)?

It all right mate he told you few times check the wires with a tester. Don't worry about the lighter, if it doesn't fit the facia worry . You can used spade connectors to hook it up.
You can also get the right one from scrappy or around.

I think I've confused you. When I fitted it I meant I simply placed it in the hole, unwired and not functioning, as a place holder. All I have available on the car is that T plug, which by the looks of other threads is indeed the appropriate one. The black and 2 red cables all came with the lighter. So it just seems I bought an 'alien' lighter, and need to buy another that accepts that T socket (Whats the name of that btw?)?

oh silly me, just realised it's an aftermarket one?
u could crimp some blade connectors on the sockets red/black wires & insert into the t-connector,
or I've got my old original one u see in the pic here in the garage that u just plug in direct £5 ;)

I had a look in my local scrappy the other day, only had one K11 which didn't have one fitted either.

So basically I need to buy a spade to turn the one red wire into a "spade" that goes into the T socket's female spade? The other black cable just gets left? The 2nd red is just the light I think?

I'm a total electical noob here...

Last edited:
I've bought some 6.3mm male crimp connectors. So I need to use the red AND black cables, not just the red? In their respective + and - sockets noted earlier, right?

If you check what the output wires do when....
1 . ignition is turned on (key to the first turn)
2 . when lights are turned on/off

that makes it a lot less hassle

Now you're confusing me. :(

Why do I need to test if they're outputting electricity? I'm not trying to troubleshoot anything. Just want to know which wire goes where. Now I know it's the T socket to use, I was suggested to buy those crimp connectors which I have. Just want to know which wires I actually need to hook up. I know nill about electrics, even basics... These are the 2 cables I *think* I need to connect: https://www.micra.org.uk/attachments/red-black-1-jpg.42100/

The only other red cable with the lighter is for the illumination I believe (which I'm not fussed for).

This is what I've bought: a.jpg

I did it with my Micra too, I use the cig lighter of a 1988 Toyota Corolla.
It's really easy to do but you need to know "something" about car electronics
Find somebody near you that can help you, It's fixed in 15min time.

The spade connectors I bought fit into the T socket but the ciggy wires will need splicing as they're female (like the spades). A friend's gonna help.

Just to be sure then, in the picture above with the + and -, I want to wire the black cable into the - and the red cable into the + and voila? The - and black cable are both definitely for grounding?

Back