Install a RPM counter/Rev counter/Tachometer?

Hi everybody!

New here, and recently bought a Nissan Micra K11 2000, and really like the car. Just something that annoys me, is that there is no tachometer. Been looking to get one, but I am a completly novice when it comes to cars, but would like to learn me. Could anyone tell me how to install a tachometer? (one of those available on ebay for around £25)

Thank you guys, and sorry for my bad English.

Easiest option is to fit the instrument panel with the rev counter in it. 5 screws and its plug and play. They come up on eBay every now and again. Ask @davyboy to see if he's got any. He went through a phase of collecting them.

I assume that this has been solved, but I recently installed an aftermarket tachometer with LED backlighting made by 'Douself' and thought I'd clarify the wiring. Note, this was done on a facelift K11 (2002) 1.0L S model:

Tachometer wire --> Cluster wire
  • +12V (not illumination) --> yellow
  • Tachometer signal --> blue/black
  • Illumination positive -- > red/white (sidelights/main beam live)
  • Ground x2 (tachometer power & illumination) --> to chassis

I assume that this has been solved, but I recently installed an aftermarket tachometer with LED backlighting made by 'Douself' and thought I'd clarify the wiring. Note, this was done on a facelift K11 (2002) 1.0L S model:

Tachometer wire --> Cluster wire
  • +12V (not illumination) --> yellow
  • Tachometer signal --> blue/black
  • Illumination positive -- > red/white (sidelights/main beam live)
  • Ground x2 (tachometer power & illumination) --> to chassis
Can I please ask if after you did this did the tacho work properly?
I have done this to my 52 plate k11 and the aftermarket tacho seems slow/sluggish, I checked it via bluetooth obd2 and an app and it is definitely running slow.
Any ideas why?
Rct

Can I please ask if after you did this did the tacho work properly?
I have done this to my 52 plate k11 and the aftermarket tacho seems slow/sluggish, I checked it via bluetooth obd2 and an app and it is definitely running slow.
Any ideas why?
Rct
Mine was pretty sluggish too. I only used it for constant speed monitoring when on the motorway as it wouldn't respond fast enough. Which tachometer are you using?

There's another wire that returns from the distributor (not sure what you have) which is what I used for my older carburettor and points style tacho, the wire goes back into the ecu and is monitored as it will run if disconnected but throws a fault about timing or ignition or some such. Putting the tacho in parallel resulted in the tacho under reading so it seems it needs to be in series.

There's another wire that returns from the distributor (not sure what you have) which is what I used for my older carburettor and points style tacho, the wire goes back into the ecu and is monitored as it will run if disconnected but throws a fault about timing or ignition or some such. Putting the tacho in parallel resulted in the tacho under reading so it seems it needs to be in series.
I have the coil pack model and the tacho input wire is shared by the abs sensor for some reason or other?
Rct