inner sill rust proofing

Pull back the carpet beside the doors to expose the inner sills & there's some holes along there..& don't forget to plug the little hole that Nissan built into the Micras inside inner arch in front of back wheels.Hard to describe but have a poke about & you'll find it.If you feel & scrape at what would be the top of the sill where it right angles along sill there is a 3mm x 3mm ish hole that slowly adds water to your sill over the years.Gis a shout if you can't find it & I'll get some measurements or pics..

Also worth bypassing the sunroof a-pillar drain which just drains straight into the closed box section sills causing the rust

right guys i've found the drain holes in the sun roof,sprayed wd40 down them and it comes out the sills which tells me it's not blocked(good sign) is o.k to just block them up? would've thought i'd get a build up of water in the sun roof section with no drainage? also pulled back the carpet by the door and only found 1 hole
2012-04-07153018.jpg
is this it for access for inner sill? if so how do i get enough waxoil in there to coat the entire inner sill? and i had a look in the inner arches and found only 1 hole
2012-04-07154310.jpg
the other side had a screw/bung in it,is this the hole mention to cover up? and i cant find any holes in the rear arches,am i looking in the wrong area or is it possible there is no hole on my rear arches? thanks again

ah o.k i get it now, yeah pics of the sill holes would be great as i can only seem to find the one on each side,thanks dude, but also where are these holes in the inner arches? thanks

gotcha, i need the gun not the spray can lol,makes sence now,will have to be put on hold for now then as i dont have 1! cheers for all your help so far guys:)

i used them waxoil spray cans on mine. the little straw can only reach & spray so far and the stuff only affects rust to a certain degree.
i think they're more for preventing rust on a new chassis rather than treat. once rust starts in the sills its a ticking clock.

fantastic lol, well passed the m.o.t recently but advisory on sills so was planning to do what i can to preserve them,might just put the word around for someone who has the required tools/equipment to do it for me for a drink, also replace the crossmember! other than that i think purple hobbit is all good:)

k had a look.
at the rear u can remove the plastic black clips that hold the white loom cover to stick the spray in

scaled.php

another hole next to the seat belt

scaled.php

remove the boot/fuel handle to reveal hole

scaled.php

these beside the front footwell

scaled.php

and removing the footwell corner plastic panels and foam allows access to the front sill and also see the sunroof drain pipe

Here's the other little drama area below rear seat belt anchorage that causes rusty rear sills even on non sunroof models.
This picture is from the right hand side of car..
Wire brush the corner/right angled bit & run your finger around & you'll feel the hole.On this car it's about 5mm x 5mm,enough to collect plenty of road spray over the years.Needs plugging with a bit of seam sealer/gasket seal etc.

201204083228.jpg

wright, i had a go and noticed that the inner arch holes pointed out were already filled with bolts....
2012-04-10171036.jpg
2012-04-10170938.jpg
so no worries there:),(but what are they for?) pulled back carpets and sprayed as much as i could through the little holes for the inner sills untill it was coming out the bottom of the sills,there's now several little puddles of oil and waxoil on the floor now:oops:, the 1 hole i could find in the pic a few threads up in the front arch i simply sprayed with oil again untill it was flowing out the bottom and filled with silicone,i think that's it for now, thanks again for all you're imput guys;)

Back