Inlet Manifold Gaskets ~~~~~~~~~~

Hi all, been meaning to ask this for a loooong time but keep forgeting, anyway....

Question is are there another type of gasket for the inlet manifold that stops the heat transfer from the cylinder head to the inlet manifold, i.e. some kind of plastic type that can withstand heat, reason for this being that as im running turbo the air inlet can run cooler into the manifold, not sure if this idea will be effective??

Any ides or comments woiod be great to read!!

J

Hahaaaa, realised ive posted this in the wrong section as i was posting a wanted manifold, never mind, thanks polly, can i ask, if you could make me a set as you have done this before and you have the knowledge etc... if aint that much of a hassel?? :)

Also did the manifold ever blow at all, i.e. leak air from the gasket also the manifold, was it cold compare to using a standard gasket? Like noticed any difference in its temperature?

Cheers mate...

J

hiya,
at the moment afraid I don't have the time or investment to make them for ppl (they take alot of measuring & very messy hand dremelling n rechecking) cos I recently quit my last job, busy looking for another, sorting life out, sorting m8s wedding, sorting car out for big trip to nurburgring in july, etc. perhaps one day once the chaos settles down.
but all the info n pics are on the blog so if you have access to, and is handy with a dremel or milling machine and purchase some sheets of teflon, it's really easy to make.

never leaked cos I applied PU sealant between the teflon spacer, manifold & engine to seal it.
also used longer stainless studs & bolts & thread locked in place.

with the original paper thin gasket, most of the engine heat can spread to the manifold so it would feel about as painfully hot as touching the block itself, even if it's only been driven normally lightly around town.

with this 5mm teflon spacer, almost none of the engine heat will reach the manifold now (can only conduct via the few metal stainless studs), plus u have this constant rush of cold inlet air rushing inside it so as a result it'll stay ambient cold all the time.
so coupled with a non-heated TB and cold air intake, the overall air inlet temp going into the engine will be dramatically lowered :)

Thanks polly, ill order some 5mm teflon sheet and also using a standard gasket as template would that be ok? Or would i need to used the cylinderhead to keep offering it up as a guide? Also where do i get longer studs for the cylinder head to manifold? What size whould they be?

Cheers mate, sorry for the questions, rather ask them to someone who knows and done this before!!

J

copying the gasket is fine but with such a thick spacer I'd preferably try to port match both ends of the spacer to remove any turbulent mismatch edges.

normal m8 stainless threaded bar from ebay

Back