Injector options ? Probably one for Ed

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Are standard Starlet turbo (295cc) injectors compatible with the impedance on the st?

I'm planning to rebuild my st's engine after JAE because mainly has piston ring wear now and a bit smokey under acceleration (No doubt Steve will see on the way to JAE) looking to run a little more boost 1.4-1.5 bar on the fresh engine?

I'm looking into also getting a stainless tubular manifold and downpipe for more flow, some minor head work on the ports. Might look into some forged pistons although with cooling kept under control and the fueling I think the factory ones are ok

Also on the cards,

Oil cooler (Oil temp is quite high on track)
Larger Radiator
Chargecooler. . .maybe!
Turbo reconditioned small bit of play in the shaft

Headgasket, standard one is still going over 3 years later at 1.2 bar boost and a few 1.6 bar blasts when i had a boost controller problem while drag racing the car lol
But question is would it be able for this? I think the main thing is keep the temps under control?

Now I know alot of the guys dont want to boost the #### ( for want of a better word ) out of their st's but I think it can be done and still be reliable as I usually drive around on moderate boost levels

Obviously gonna be harder on clutchs but I dont mind I go through 1 a years as it is and can change a clutch with my eyes closed at this stage(Y)

Gearbox is going to be rebuilt as the bearing can be noisey at times, but the car has been on track alot . Still selects all gears perfect, sometimes the syncro in 2nd gets a battering but seems to be holding up. I have had the box apart twice in the last 3 years and no visible sign of wear on the gears and no metal in the oil.

I would be very interested to see how you get on with this Baz, also if you get a set of standard piston rings could you give me a bell see if you can get me a set too ;)

Also whats a charge cooler? and what clutch is in the ST, is it a sunny / pulsar or something similar?

cheers

Steve

I would be very interested to see how you get on with this Baz, also if you get a set of standard piston rings could you give me a bell see if you can get me a set too ;)

Also whats a charge cooler? and what clutch is in the ST, is it a sunny / pulsar or something similar?

cheers

Steve

Getting the rings from Matt humphries ,apparently there is a supplier in japan that can supply them

The clutch not sure man k11 1.3 disc can be used not sure about the pressure plate

I like how you think Barry

Careful with the larger manifold, I went that way but we ended up with too little room for the dump pipe off the turbo and had to start again.

sounds lika a plan!! wouldnt bother with a charge cooler though,, its not going to be much more efficient then an intercooler, ferriday engineering will do you a headgastet(bi-metal) when the time comes

Charge coolers are less efficient than an intercooler. 295cc injectors will be good for about 200hp.

I like how you think Barry

Careful with the larger manifold, I went that way but we ended up with too little room for the dump pipe off the turbo and had to start again.

Will keep that in mind, any ideas for the larger rad?

sounds lika a plan!! wouldnt bother with a charge cooler though,, its not going to be much more efficient then an intercooler, ferriday engineering will do you a headgastet(bi-metal) when the time comes

Great man where are they?

Charge coolers are less efficient than an intercooler. 295cc injectors will be good for about 200hp.

Will the injectors work with the setup I have Ed? Obviously I will have to use the startlet injector plug connectors. 200hp is plenty:grinning: If I can get 140-150 torque I'll be happy , might start eating gaerboxs though

no idea on direct fit for the radiator...but I am going to get a custom one made up by a local bunch called PWR ("P"robably "W"rong "R"adiator, after their total inability to get a single order right the first time). when they do get it right they are a good thing though.

good to hear the starlet injectors are direct fit other than pugs. Baz are you remapping the factory computer to suit or going a replacement computer. I was planning for remap only

no idea on direct fit for the radiator...but I am going to get a custom one made up by a local bunch called PWR ("P"robably "W"rong "R"adiator, after their total inability to get a single order right the first time). when they do get it right they are a good thing though.

good to hear the starlet injectors are direct fit other than pugs. Baz are you remapping the factory computer to suit or going a replacement computer. I was planning for remap only

Still not sure on the starlet injectors man , they might be have a different inpedence to whats factory on the st. Tbh I havnt a clue about injectors really.

If I can get a rad roughly the size of the front panel in between the headlights I'd say that will do the job lol.

At the moment I have a greddy emanage never really had a problem with it so might stay with it. they made 128 odd whp the last time it was dyno'd ( close to 150 flywheel hp ) and I think it was 120ft/lb of torque. No one over here in Ireland can map the factory ecu.

If the injectors fit and are the same impedance then should be fine. there are only two different types (high=11-13 low=2-3). The standard micra is high (not sure about the st) but if the starlets are low (and the st's are high) then you could still use them but you would need a resistor for each injector to up the impedance. If you have the two injectors in hand then you can measure the impedance across the two terminals (ohms).
hope thats clear enough.

good to hear the emanage is up to it, we have a few here but not too popular compared to stand alone replacements. I haven't yet had the ecu remapped but the guy who does stuff for me has done heaps of nissan remaps over the years, I am hoping he can crack this one too...if not maybe ed will be round at the right times :D I've got very very rich running at full boost, good old nissan.

Your making heaps more power than mine, I really need a rebuild, the blow by is terrible so I assume the rings are shot.

Noddie, our friends at nissan made a lovely "dropping resistor" on the 32 GTR, 1 high inpedance input and 6 low impedance outputs to make any swap to low impedance easy. I'm sure individual resistors would do the job but this is a single simple unit with good cooling.

According to the interweb starlet gt injectors are high impedance. I don't have the march here atm so can't check their impedance.

Seems strange reading posts like above as its where I was years ago, so hopefully this will help.

ST injectors are standard end feed. Almost any end feed will fit, EVO/PULSAR etc etc etc. I have run low impedance injectors 440cc from GTIR on the ST with no issues at all.

HOWEVER a word of warning. The stock ECU has a minimum injector pulsewidth which means 440cc injectors will run at about 11-12:1 at idle and at the moment I have not got that cracked on the stock ECU so there is nothing I can do about it. It just makes emissions a pain for MOT. This will also be an issue with e-manage blue as it cannot compensate for when you hit the TTPMIN of the stock ecu.

I was running over 200lb/ft of torque with nitrous and over 8K rev limit with stock internals. Yes things did eventually break - no surprise and stock head gasket was totally incapable of holding that but gearbox mostly was ok, and at least easily repairable.

When I eventually get round to fixing mine, I'll be keeping the same box and will be seeing how it holds up with even more torque.

If the injectors fit and are the same impedance then should be fine. there are only two different types (high=11-13 low=2-3). The standard micra is high (not sure about the st) but if the starlets are low (and the st's are high) then you could still use them but you would need a resistor for each injector to up the impedance. If you have the two injectors in hand then you can measure the impedance across the two terminals (ohms).
hope thats clear enough.

Great post man thanks

good to hear the emanage is up to it, we have a few here but not too popular compared to stand alone replacements. I haven't yet had the ecu remapped but the guy who does stuff for me has done heaps of nissan remaps over the years, I am hoping he can crack this one too...if not maybe ed will be round at the right times :D I've got very very rich running at full boost, good old nissan.

Your making heaps more power than mine, I really need a rebuild, the blow by is terrible so I assume the rings are shot.

Noddie, our friends at nissan made a lovely "dropping resistor" on the 32 GTR, 1 high inpedance input and 6 low impedance outputs to make any swap to low impedance easy. I'm sure individual resistors would do the job but this is a single simple unit with good cooling.

According to the interweb starlet gt injectors are high impedance. I don't have the march here atm so can't check their impedance.

Yeah man Im in no rush I have spare injectors somewhere that i can check out
Is the blow by causing smoke? I get a bit now under hard acceleration on full boost and a bit whan i let off and then back on the throttle . Still seems to use very little oil between changes though which is good.Only topped it up once with a quarter of a litre in the last three months and 3000km put up on it. I do use it quite alot since the scoob's off the road

Seems strange reading posts like above as its where I was years ago, so hopefully this will help.

ST injectors are standard end feed. Almost any end feed will fit, EVO/PULSAR etc etc etc. I have run low impedance injectors 440cc from GTIR on the ST with no issues at all.

HOWEVER a word of warning. The stock ECU has a minimum injector pulsewidth which means 440cc injectors will run at about 11-12:1 at idle and at the moment I have not got that cracked on the stock ECU so there is nothing I can do about it. It just makes emissions a pain for MOT. This will also be an issue with e-manage blue as it cannot compensate for when you hit the TTPMIN of the stock ecu.

I was running over 200lb/ft of torque with nitrous and over 8K rev limit with stock internals. Yes things did eventually break - no surprise and stock head gasket was totally incapable of holding that but gearbox mostly was ok, and at least easily repairable.

When I eventually get round to fixing mine, I'll be keeping the same box and will be seeing how it holds up with even more torque.

Thats cool Ed I thought that aswell, but basically I wanted to keep it reliable and not go balls out like yourself to the point where things started to break. I had that problm with the 370cc injectors , just running rich everywhere and failed the Mot / nct on emmsions, Then changed back to standard and the car made nearly 25 extra hp and nearly the same torque after 3 hours on a dyno. The starlet ones are not to much bigger so I might get away with it just being slightly rich ??

Also would it cause the car to be down on power else where in the rev range?

The reason I want to go further with the power level is Ive seen what you have done with the charade on the fusion website and I know the st is a better car:laugh: lol

ahh OK thanks Ed. I'ev got a heap of gtr(same as gtir) injectors around so they would suit me. The ECU part is bad news though, I guess I will need to move to a stand alone ecu to run it all properly because I have not heard of any plug in options for ma09.

blow by is terrible and it is using heaps of oil as well as blowing out various oil seals. definately rebuild time.

Barry I reckon around 300 will be fine, TBH you could just get a nismo pressure regulator and up the base pressure to 3.5 bar= 291cc injectors. You have to have it remapped but then your onto a winner.

The ECU WILL be cracked fully at some point. Just its not been done yet. I keep looking at my POS sitting in the work shop begging me to fix it. Its getting closer I may even get the engine machined in the next few weeks.

Ed

mike tanski, ferriday engineering, he in wales somewhere, sound man, 00441559372143, just ask him for a gasket for the ma09, he has a template from my old one, good thread this!!! nice to see ed getting stuck in with the info, mabye me and baz will kidnapp him, he would be handy to have in the shed:laugh::laugh:,,, as for the injectors i may try the ca18 ones as i now have 305cc more would my car be less rich???

One of the best threads on here in a while on here and I'm too full to reply. i'll get you tomorrow lads:laugh:

Barry I reckon around 300 will be fine, TBH you could just get a nismo pressure regulator and up the base pressure to 3.5 bar= 291cc injectors. You have to have it remapped but then your onto a winner.

The ECU WILL be cracked fully at some point. Just its not been done yet. I keep looking at my POS sitting in the work shop begging me to fix it. Its getting closer I may even get the engine machined in the next few weeks.

Ed

Cool Ed , so use the standard fuel injectors and just up the fuel pressure to 3.5 bar ( Vac off or on? )
Yeah man you need to get that built asap!!

mike tanski, ferriday engineering, he in wales somewhere, sound man, 00441559372143, just ask him for a gasket for the ma09, he has a template from my old one, good thread this!!! nice to see ed getting stuck in with the info, mabye me and baz will kidnapp him, he would be handy to have in the shed:laugh::laugh:,,, as for the injectors i may try the ca18 ones as i now have 305cc more would my car be less rich???

Good stuff man !!!

Back