Induction kit vs upgraded panel filter

I've just got a 160sr and while I can't find a designed to fit induction kit both K & N and BMC make a panel filter.
I had a AEM V2 on a previous civic and it sounded great, I would like a similar system but the original airbox seems to have a decent cold air feed and I'm not convinced an open filter in the cramped engine bay would give any benefit without a serious heat sheild and cold air feed and I don't want to do anything I can't easily return to standard.

Will an upgrade to a K & N or BMC filter change the sound? and does anyone have any experience of the two back to back?
I plan on getting a cat-back exhaust too but just not quite yet as funds won't allow :(

I have the K&N replacement filter from the Nissan Note on my 160SR. Nowadays K&N released it as a filter for the 160SR, but it's the same filter as the Note has the same 1.6 engine.
Personally I can't notice any difference in sound or performance. But then again, it's hard to compare once the new filter is installed.

thanks, mines just been serviced so probably more sensible to get my monies worth out of the current filter 1st anyway. Also just realised that I've got a BMC CDA somewhere that I had planned to put on my prelude years ago before it met a grizzly end. Now where did I put that?

Yo, I've got a 160sr and decided to fit an induction kit. Since I work in engineering I have access to plenty of equipment, so I custom fabricated myself the kit. I bought a load of standard motorsport bits such as an ITG filter and some Samcos. The main section of the kit was made from a 70mm mandrel bent aluminium tube. The air mass sensor was the main problem, so i CNC'd out a block of ally to sit the sensor on and TIG'd it onto the tube. The cam cover breather pipe was a turned down bush, again TIG'd on. I then primed, painted and clearcoated the system with rattlecans. Fairplay, it looks the don.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=274875&l=eb4020125d&id=100002018522046

However, once I drove the car I was less satisfied. The noise the thing made was wicked but there were horrendous dead spots in the rev range and the engine management light appeard on the dash. It was clear the engine was now running lean. To cure this problem i wound a load of tape round the air filter to restrict airflow. This then dampened the problem, but it is still there and I feel that the engine is not working to its full potential because the ECU wont inject enough fuel. So for that reason I am currently investigating upping the fuel line pressure by mechanical means or a remap.

In total the kit cost about £150 in parts and an additional £130 to insurance plus about 30 hours of manufacture.

I'll be honest dude, you're probably best off getting yourself a panel filter, unless you want to go into further modification of the car or if you want no performance increase but for the car to sound dope.

Hope this is helpful

frank

Club Member
could it be "stalling" of the airflow or turbulence, rather than lean-ness that are causing the flatspots ed ?

Hey Frank, cheers for the suggestion, but I'm fairly sure the problem is the engine runing too lean as I plugged a diagnostics computor into the OBD port and the fault that was causing the engine light to come on said that the mixture was too lean

Wow, thanks for your reply Ed, that's some nice looking work. I think I'll stick with a panel filter, though I'd be interested if a remap could solve your problem