Increased fuel consumption....1.0L K11

Hey all,

Anyone got any ideas on curing increased fuel consumption on a 1.0L K11? I have no figures to base this on, but it really seems like the petrol is used up more quickly than before....3 months ago it seemed ok.

I figured on changing spark plugs and air filter and re-checking for leaks as a start.

Cheers,

Pete

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I thought this a couple weeks ago, without anything keeping track of my miles I assumed my fuel was being used up far quicker than normal.

I filled up £20 and kept track of my miles and it worked out to be 45MPG and I was actually driving much further than I thought.

You should get around 160-170miles or even a touch more with a light foot for £20

Keep an eye on it, give us some figures and we'll help the best we can.

OP
OP
S
Ok, but my first impression is that the K11's consumption has changed to that of my other car which is a 1.4 corsa auto which only gives me c. 25-30 mpg. But I really boot the corsa and it is an auto box, so I expect this.

The K11 is my girlfriend's and I don't drive it harshly by any means. It's her who originally pointed out the increased fuel usage and after using it for almost a week, I had to agree.

Pete

it coud be due to the fact that the weather has been a lot colder recently so after startup you you are running at a richer mixture for longer = using more fuel

OP
OP
S
Thanks...

micra 2000
I hear what ur saying about the cold weather and richer mixture for longer.....it figures. But (and yes, without figures) my gut feeling is that it's a little more than just that.

camoxodka
- interesting. I've not had much experience with lambda sensors.....I've never had one fail. But I also sometimes get a little hesitation on pushing the gas and I believe this can indicate a problem with that sensor.

So, can the lambda sensor be removed and cleaned? or would you just replace it?

Cheers,

Pete

pollyp

Club Member
need to check the O2 is oscilating up/down least twice a sec at 2k rpm engine warmed up.
O2 has a finite amount of reactive material hence life before it gets less responsive.

camoxodka

car half done :)
Thanks...

micra 2000
I hear what ur saying about the cold weather and richer mixture for longer.....it figures. But (and yes, without figures) my gut feeling is that it's a little more than just that.

camoxodka
- interesting. I've not had much experience with lambda sensors.....I've never had one fail. But I also sometimes get a little hesitation on pushing the gas and I believe this can indicate a problem with that sensor.

So, can the lambda sensor be removed and cleaned? or would you just replace it?

Cheers,

Pete
well yea first of all you could remove it and give it a clean, well that worked for mine :), if that does not work and their is not other options but your car is still running rich, then try and change the lambda sensor :)

skymera said:
I managed to squeeze 176miles from £20 over the past few days, so if you're getting 100 you're doing it wrong.

Ok my tank is empty ATM. I will put £20 tomorrow morning and also will use light foot. Will come back on this sun/ mon :)

Btw how many litres did you get for £20

I managed to squeeze 176miles from £20 over the past few days, so if you're getting 100 you're doing it wrong.

That looks quite a bit. I get 99.7 mile for 14.41 litters or £18.72 which translates into 31.45 m/g and my car is a 1.4 or 1348cc. I driving mostly with an adult passenger and toddler.

How to improve it?

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
I had a phase of working out my MPG on every fill up with the K11, and it averaged near enough 43mpg on the dot every time, but I never drove it very hard and I found out after I broke it that the fuel gauge was actually broken and when registering below the red actually had a lot of fuel left so I don't know how reliable that is. My K12 is all over the place with mileage, but I think the best I've gotten was about 45ish from a brimmed-to-the-filler-cap top up.

£20 is gone so far...... its 120miles with light foot. sometimes i rev so hard but my fuel pump is very weak which is produce waste of fuel :(

(will check with this mpg later on but i left my receipt somewhere in my car.)

£20 is gone so far...... its 120miles with light foot. sometimes i rev so hard but my fuel pump is very weak which is produce waste of fuel :(

(will check with this mpg later on but i left my receipt somewhere in my car.)

I get about 60-70 miles on £10 though that was normal :L

I get just over 200 from £40. MPG is just over 30.

I think it's ready for a good service. I will get it done at the same time as MOT which is due end of FEB.

I'm getting 30 MPG town driving, haven't tested it on the motorway yet.

Bit strange about this MPG, brothers 307 hdi computer shows 50MPG, he is also getting 200+ for £40 of fuel.

Some people are managing to get 45MPG on here, would love to get that sort of MPG :)

I had a phase of working out my MPG on every fill up with the K11, and it averaged near enough 43mpg on the dot every time, but I never drove it very hard and I found out after I broke it that the fuel gauge was actually broken and when registering below the red actually had a lot of fuel left so I don't know how reliable that is. My K12 is all over the place with mileage, but I think the best I've gotten was about 45ish from a brimmed-to-the-filler-cap top up.

Would love to get 45MPG on mine. Can't wait to get it serviced and see if it makes any difference :)

Hello every one,

How to improve the MPG? currently I am doing 30- (31 max) in town driving.

Done the tracking before replacing the break caliper and track rod end. The MAF is not the original one. It is replaced with one from eBay. This site offers for £89 + VAT don't know if its original or not or worth replacing!

What is the difference between the Petrol additives such as:

1.Redex Petrol Injector Cleaner 500ml
2.Redex Fuel System Cleaner Petrol Injector
3.STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner Petrol

Are they any good?

Regards

try adding acetone to the petrol, but mix it outside the tank. Also try to minimize the contact of the acetone with air as it degrades very slightly. I mix in 0.15% or a 640 to 1 ratio. I notice it idles smoother and pick ups a bit better, and milage probably 10 % gains. Been using it on a 50cc scooter and 2stroke 350cc trials for years no problem. IT HAS TO BE PURE ACETONE!! and dont run on high comp. engines

Hi,

Few weeks back my car consumption was 200 miles for a full tank and I didn't know what was the reason. Power gone down and even take over a lorry was an advantage. Suddenly coil pack cracked down and after I bought new one everything works fine. 320 miles range, mostly city driving like "Fast and Furious" :)

1. Clean up single point fuel injection as you might have channels partly blocked. While engine on idle is it stable?
2. As some one mentioned above... traction + tyre pressure.
3. Oil new?
4. Does your engine burning oil?
5. Check air vents as you might have leafs or something else in there. Remove and wash it from the dust.
6. Fuel filter ever changed?
7. Maybe braking calibers not working properly and you didn't notice that? Hand brake...?
8. Due to "winter" weather put a cardboard at the front of radiator, engine will heat up much faster.
9. As now its a windy weather don't be surprised it burns more petrol.
10. Change style of driving

My Micra 1,0 16v is 130k miles already and I mange to get 4,5 - 5,5l for 60 miles at the high way with a speed 60-65 mph. Don know is it a lot?

I hope you will find at least one clue what might be wrong. This is the things what come up to my mind and honestly you don't have to agree ;)

sorry for digging up an old post but ive put 20 euro of petrol into my 1.0l k11 from absolutely bottom (not starting due to no petrol) and it brough the needle upto the first tick above red, after 50 miles im on the red but no petrol light, ive a cone filter and no back box just a straight pipe. ive been giving it a good bit of a heavy right foot but is this normal for 13 litres worth to have dropped so quick, thanks for any advice :)

I previously owned a 1997 1.0 K11, The top half of the tank seems to be bigger on the gauge than the top half. The top half would drop really slowly (cover about 180 miles) then the bottom half would drop really quickly (about 120 miles) the last quarter seems to drop extremely rapidly once you hit it...

After servicing my car (oil / plugs / fuel filter / pipercross panel air filter) a few times, swapping the Throttle body for a new one and changing the o2 sensor I seem to be getting around 36mpg around town and 45mpg on the motorway, not great for a 1.0 but much better than it was before. Your cone filter is probably reducing your fuel economy as it is sucking in more hot air (unless you have it closed off with a cold air feed) you might also be losing back pressure without a backbox (although I do not know much about this so I may be incorrect).

Hope this helps :)

Oh and I have run the car well below the red fuel line before (as in fully underneath it) :p

i put about 7 euro worth in the car from rock bottom one day and i got 50 miles , i taught that was grand and that was with cone filter and straight pipe :p

Where I mainly drive is full of hills which doesn't help, and to be honest even if i push the car hard it doesn't make much difference to the fuel economy. My 1993 1.3 K11 seems to be far more economical... strange.

Bigger engines are often more economical than the smaller ones. Power to weight ratio, the modern car is made as light as possible to give good mpg.
My 3.2 ltre V8 jag was cheaper to run than my 3.0 ltre V6 !!!!!!

Bigger engines are often more economical than the smaller ones. Power to weight ratio, the modern car is made as light as possible to give good mpg.
My 3.2 ltre V8 jag was cheaper to run than my 3.0 ltre V6 !!!!!!

I agree, having an engine which is underpowered for motorway driving (such as the 1.0 in the K11) also doesn't do your fuel economy any good (unless you are willing to drive at 50-60mph for the whole journey). My 1.3 is far more economical on long trips than my old 1.0, I am also starting to think it is less thirsty round town as well...

My dad's 3.0 V6 gets about 20-22mpg average :p the 4.0 XJR he was considering recently would get around the same fuel economy haha

I agree, having an engine which is underpowered for motorway driving (such as the 1.0 in the K11) also doesn't do your fuel economy any good (unless you are willing to drive at 50-60mph for the whole journey). My 1.3 is far more economical on long trips than my old 1.0, I am also starting to think it is less thirsty round town as well...

My dad's 3.0 V6 gets about 20-22mpg average :p the 4.0 XJR he was considering recently would get around the same fuel economy haha
The XJR would have 140 BHP more as well.........total beasts - awesome things.

The XJR would have 140 BHP more as well.........total beasts - awesome things.

Ahh sorry I should have made it clear, the 3.0 V6 is a Citroen C5 with a few mods (so 230bhp) so the XJR would have 210bhp more lol (440bhp - as he was looking at a paramount modded one)

That's like having eight K11 1.0's under the hood :p

Ahh sorry I should have made it clear, the 3.0 V6 is a Citroen C5 with a few mods (so 230bhp) so the XJR would have 210bhp more lol (440bhp - as he was looking at a paramount modded one)

That's like having eight K11 1.0's under the hood :p
If I ever have another Jaguar .....it will be the V8 supercharged. Still love em, but, today I am more than happy with my 1.4 micra, incredible little things.
I still can't get over how cheap they are to run. I go to watch my local football club when I can, taking the Jag used to cost me £60 in fuel, the Micra £15.....no contest, the Micra for me now.