• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

imp124's SUPER TURBO

Standard turbo will not do 160bhp. (In my experience) definitely not on standard injectors/maf anyway.

so would you think the same would happen if i ran a lower boost, as this was my plan?

No, it wouldn't happen on lower boost.

It all depends on what sort of power you want to run. If you intend to take it close to 160bhp, with an oem hg, you are better off doing it in a way that won't generate too much increase in heat. When comparing the stock 0.9 bar to something like 1.3 you are burning lots more O2, which will burn hotter.

the one thing thats worrying me and the guy whos helping me build it is it has an induction kit with a big fmic, dont know if this will make it burn leaner (hotter) although i believe John told me it had been remapped by Ed with this on? and its also running the standard airflow meter?

So i think bacically to sumarise my recent posts, will the induction kit, fmic, possible lean mixture (running 1 - 1.2 bar) eat through the new head gasket / Piston?. That is my final question on this as i realise i am annoying a few people :D

I would trust the map from Ed.

But short answer is, yes. The cooler your intake air the hotter the burn. Cooler intake will help with your ambiant chamber temp but it is still going to give a hotter burn.

Correct me if I'm wrong here... Mappings are done on Air fuel ratios, correct?? Which doesn't necessarily account for the density of the air?? So you should expect a little more bang with an upgraded cold air intake.

You will only start eating gaskets if you are pushing your power to its limits. As Ed mentioned your ST doesnt have the supporting mods to be pushing it to much more than about 130-140bhp. If you set it up to be running about 130 on 1-1.2 bar you should be fine for a while yet although I would not run it on 1.2 bar as a daily, 1bar for normal use should be ample power.

Reply to Snikty:

Thanks, this is kind of what i thought, im not planning on using it at 1.2 bar often, or use the car as a daily so i think i should be ok, i think i remember John saying he had it at 1.3 bar once, dont now if that may have started a chain reaction or something?

BUT ANYWAY. Thanks everyone for the advice, i will now return to 'BLOG MODE' :D

The whole engine and gearbox is out and split into two (engine / g.box)

Starting to strip the block off and take the pistons out, i will be using a new water pump (can someone please confirm this is the same as the K10 thanks) also having new cambelt, tensioner as its all apart.

My estimated date the engine will be back together is 21st december but no rush :D

Cheers again, Steve

good luck steve :) and dont mix those crank shells up (they,re size graded eh) :eek: its very satisfying getting a snug fit on all the crank journals and a getting a healthy oil pressure as a result :cool:
and "wills rings" may be an option if that H/G does,nt seal (hillman imp owners used to swear by them)

the one thing thats worrying me and the guy whos helping me build it is it has an induction kit with a big fmic, dont know if this will make it burn leaner (hotter) although i believe John told me it had been remapped by Ed with this on? and its also running the standard airflow meter?

So i think bacically to sumarise my recent posts, will the induction kit, fmic, possible lean mixture (running 1 - 1.2 bar) eat through the new head gasket / Piston?. That is my final question on this as i realise i am annoying a few people :D

No it will melt your engine as in pistons before a h/g goes, some Of the points you made steve I don't 100% agree with, yes maybe a hotter mixture but that why the cars is mapped correctly to achieve the correct afr, adding fuel will cool the engine down

There is a lot of myth here, which I don't right now have enough time to explain.

Steve stop worrying and start building. Its all fine.

There is a lot of myth here, which I don't right now have enough time to explain.

Steve stop worrying and start building. Its all fine.
Hope you get time to explain sometime i still dont understand everything 100%

Yeah, if I'm perpetuating any myths I'd much rather be corrected on it than go through life thinking I'm right when i'm not. :blush: So feel free to explain.

Look forward to seeing it all back together steve, and yup the K10 water pump is what you want.

Ok, this was doing my head in so I did some research. My appologies for my misleading post. Cooling will not affect your air the way I described rather it negates the affect compression has on the gas, so that boost levels are accurate. See below:

An unavoidable side-effect of forced induction is that compressing air raises its temperature (see also Combined gas law). As a result, the charge density is reduced and the cylinders receive less fresh air than the system’s boost pressure prescribes. The risk of detonation, or "knock" in internal combustion engines greatly increases. These drawbacks are countered by charge-air cooling, which passes the air leaving the turbocharger or supercharger through a heat exchanger typically called an intercooler. This is done by cooling the charge air with an ambient flow of either air (air-air intercoolers) or liquid (liquid to air intercoolers). The charge air density is increased and the temperature is reduced.

Hi

The ST is slowly getting built back together, but seeing though its going to get a bit icy / snowy / damp, i have decided to move the car into the garage permanently (much to my old dears anger) :D

194353a.jpg

Back