Ignition timing... by the power of estimation

skymera

Brutal Honesty
So I'm soon to be getting another engine since mine is rather kaput.

and I've decided to fiddle with my current and want to attempt/experience some ignition timing.

Problems:
- I have never done it. (We all start somewhere).
- I have no timing gun. (Tight arse alert)
- My knowledge of all aspects of timing is rather rudimentary (Word of the day, you may use it if you wish)

I'd like to advance 5 degrees by eye (Reasonable?) But it shall have to be a rough 5degrees as in, how far in mm will I need to rotate the dizzy? :rolleyes:

I'm going to mark the dizzy's current position with a Sharpie (Techy, I know) so I can always just undo my changes.

I like using brackets. (a lot).

Peace out

you would have to rotate the dizzy backwards (in relation to the front wheels) about 2mm for a 5 deg advance scott :)

Cool.

Does the engine need to be on?
Or can I just pop the bonnet and rotate it ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Cool.

Does the engine need to be on?
Or can I just pop the bonnet and rotate it ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner
either mate :) if you turn it while its running you can check the rpm change (the idle tends to raise if the spark was previously too retarded)

either mate :) if you turn it while its running you can check the rpm change (the idle tends to raise if the spark was previously too retarded)
Just hope that your insulation is all good if you do it with engine running, I lightly brushed one of my ht leads and got a belt, wakes you up somewhat!:rolleyes: Think I'm ready for new leads :(

Just hope that your insulation is all good if you do it with engine running, I lightly brushed one of my ht leads and got a belt, wakes you up somewhat!:rolleyes: Think I'm ready for new leads :(

Well I cracked off the nuts with a 12mm socket and had to give the dizzy a whack with a mallet before it budged a bit.

Moved the dizzy back a couple mm and had no effect on idle, moved a touch more and idle increased a bit so that's where I left it.

No leccy shock for me :D

I did before so i think i put fast timing. I would like to put in normal place soon. Does anyone know where can i put this timing in normal place?

btw skymera.. have you done anything on your timing? what is the difference?

cheers jk

sorry to hack this thread again....

how can i adjust this timing properly?
Only one way to do it properly and thats with a strobe light. Its worth remembering to mark your original start posistion with a scribe mark before you make any adjustments. Things can quickly go wrong if you start messing around without really having an idea about what you are doing. Always have your base mark set so you can go back to it if things dont go the way you want

Lord Lucan said:
Only one way to do it properly and thats with a strobe light. Its worth remembering to mark your original start posistion with a scribe mark before you make any adjustments. Things can quickly go wrong if you start messing around without really having an idea about what you are doing. Always have your base mark set so you can go back to it if things dont go the way you want

Thanks for the advice. I didn't do myself so someone did it for me before so I need to set up with proper timing. I need go back to my uncle or my mate ( they are professional mechanics). Will contact them tomorrow if they got spare time to do it.
Cheers jk

Back