Ignition System Fault...Someones Stole My Lightning

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Said in the voice of strong bad. "Its Brooookenn" :(

Car was working fine (actually drove it yesterday for abit, started / ran spot on) but now it wont start...typically i just found this out as i was about to leave for a local meet, sods law i guess :laugh:

I had a few ideas so tried / checked a few things and narrowed it down......to no spark, not even a tiny little bit, did a quick ecu check just out of curiosity and its displaying 21 as the error code. So its deffo a ignition fault.

Im leaning to it being dizzy related (cant be much else tbh imo), possibly igintion coil. But as i dont have a spare dizzy...before i go and get a replacement.

I thought id ask here incase ive overlooked anything simple...no fuse issues, deffo no air leaks, spark plugs fine, plenty of fuel...

What you reckon. :)

there are a couple of 10mm earths near the dizzy eh kris :)
and mine loses its spark if i push the ecu plug on dead square (i have to cock it on a slight angle to get the spark back)

Cheers frank, yeah should have said all earths are fine. Ecu hasnt been touched since i finished installing the emanage, and its been running spot on since then...will have a spy though.

Its been a case of, turned the car off after an hour of so driving...car stood over night then a few hours later try to start it and it just turns over.

Mine before did have a starting problem which was fixed with a secondhand dizzy swap...though it would always eventually start (though it would read A OK for faults), this is giving nothing.

Hi, i had a similar issue, with error code 21 showing up, its the ignition signal circuit, had to replace the dizzy...

Cheers...i'll try my luck first, as the scrappy lets you return parts if they are faulty (didnt buy it that long ago)...just not sure how flexable they are :D

Will look over the ecu etc incase somethings come loose before i switch it out.

I need other little bits anyway so a scrappy trip, if i need to make one aint a big deal. :)

im pretty sure its your dizzy,i had stopped at the petrol station, filled the car up and then it wouldnt start. tried everything and as soon as i put a new dizzy on it started no problems. so try that first and if its anything else i couldnt possibly tell you lol

Yeah stani im very much in agreement...i was suspicious of it at the very start of the problem, as its pretty much the only electrical part of the puzzle. :)

Cheers baguete :)

Will see what happens.

Well figured id wrap this thread and give my first hand impressions, switched out the dizzy and the cars back to starting with a flick of the key :D ...also gave code 55 (everything fine) straight away, which is nice. So back to sorting the rest of it now.

Fingers crossed it'll stay working :)

I had an ignition module fail in my old 1.0 LX. Unfortunately for me it failed at 75mph down the middle lane of the M3 motorway, 20miles from my destination grrrrr! It would start from cold but fail when hot......gave no error code and would start randomly but fail as soon as the accelerator was touched. Proved to be a right git to trace but we eventually sussed it and swapped it out and all was fine.

Glad you got it sorted though..........some things just fail eh? :-/

Back