Ignition Advance

Hi guys,
searched for info on here regarding the best ignition advance for the MA10 Micra with a 1.2 head,
but did'nt find exactly what i was looking for!,could anyone help me out here???..
thanks in advance
B.m.

Thanks in advance... excuse the pun eh :p

The ma10 is a fast burning engine and doesn't require much timing retard if any.

Put it at 0 btdc
Put it in 4th @ 30 mph then put your foot hard down
If you hear pinking reduce your timing to 5btdc
If no pinking is heard set it further in advance.. 5atdc is your max

Hi h701 micra,
you say the k10 does'nt need much (retard..),but it was best advance for performance i was after!,
the head is skimmed,the flywheel lightened,i'll be Oval racing with it and was just curious at what
advance would be best for a little more performance,as i have no access to a Rolling Road etc,
thanks in "full advance" again, ha ha!.

Thanks in advance... excuse the pun eh :p

The ma10 is a fast burning engine and doesn't require much timing retard if any.

Put it at 0 btdc
Put it in 4th @ 30 mph then put your foot hard down
If you hear pinking reduce your timing to 5btdc
If no pinking is heard set it further in advance.. 5atdc is your max
Think you may have your btdc and atdc switched Andy :)

i would set it to the stock figure then try some more advance personally
2 deg atdc for the (low compression) 4 speed ma10, and 5 deg btdc for the high comp 5 speed ma10 (vacuum pipe disconnected)

Beware of high speed detonation. You can't usually hear it, unlike mid-range 'pinking'. A dyno set-up for timing at high revs doesn't take long or cost much and it can save you a set of pistons, or more!

Hi I use the 8 valve engine on the ovals in junior rods...are you using vacuum advance or is it fixed advance? ....I use the fixed method and it work very well with no pinking.
Just one question for you is there any difference between the 1.0 and the 1.2 head?

Hi usher,
sorry for not getting back to you sooner but i have been busy!, in answer to your question YES the 1.2 head does make a difference,car is reving faster and seems quicker,but i have'nt raced it yet as the engine is just rebuilt,will let you know!,
regards.

Back