I would like to see how interested.....

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
That would be a sequential box, I'd have thought that the dog box kit just puts 1st rather than 5th on the dog leg to make 2-3-4-5 changes faster.

frank

Club Member
has,nt a dogbox got no syncromesh, but pegs and sockets that mesh together instead ? (quicker, crashchange) :)

Antony

Ex. Club Member
a dog box is just like the standard box but you can shift without using the clutch, most people would use an ignition cut out switch to allow the engine to come off power for a split second whilst you jam it into the next gear.
DOG refers to the dogbone shape ingagements between the gears as apposed to the syncromesh type that are on most production boxes. the syncro basicaly matches the speed of the engine with the speed of the gears in the box so that a gear can be engaged without crunching. dog boxes dont. they are much more robust and can withstand much higher forces. in a dog box you can still use it like a stock gearbox but the gears are straight cut (so the teeth are perpendicular to the rotating axis) and not helical cut (at around 40deg to the rotating axis) so you will be able to hear a whine as the teeth are much more course. this allows the gear change to happen much faster than a stock gearbox and eliminates the use for a clutch (apart from heel and toe downshifts and setting off)

a sequential box is different alltogether.

instead of the gears being lined up on 2 shafts and having a selector that can change throughout the gears freely, the gears are lined up in sequence on a single shaft (hence the name) this is in turn matched to a corresponding lay shaft usualy positioned directly underneath it. on this type of gearbox when the lever is is pushed forward the 1st gear on the shaft is engaged with the input shaft and it is inturn engaged with the layshaft/output shaft. to select second gear you simply pull back on the shifter and either by electronics/hydraulics or mechanics the first gear is disengaged and the engagment ring is slotted into the second gear (directly behind 1st) and so on and so on up to 6th gear.
in a sequential it is impossible to change from 5th to 3rd without going through 4th first and as such is impossible to mis shift unless there is a major malfunction.

both gearboxes use DOG engagments and Straight cut gears.

but dont confuse the two. the NME k11 rally cars had standard boxes converted into dog boxes where as the NME Works 'Kit' wide arched cars (P5 NME and P6 NME) had sequential 6 speed boxes usualy hewland.

OP
OP
K

k6pfs

Ex. Club Member
We now have ultra light flywheels!

101_1200.jpg

Ant you are very right about the gear boxes, well done mate, very well put!!!

I can call you about the dog box, PM me your number please.

i am intertested in alot of stuff here....get that website going!! also top dog prices

how much for flywheel?

*edit*just noticed website link......

For anyone who s not quite sure about parting with money with people they dont know, i can strongly reccomend these guys, Chris is a top bloke and knows his stuff went up from south wales to norfolk to buy a dogbox drove the car at 9 o clock in the night was out by 8 o clock next morning, top service!!

OP
OP
K

k6pfs

Ex. Club Member
For anyone who s not quite sure about parting with money with people they dont know, i can strongly reccomend these guys, Chris is a top bloke and knows his stuff went up from south wales to norfolk to buy a dogbox drove the car at 9 o clock in the night was out by 8 o clock next morning, top service!!

Cheers for the the post mate,

I might also have a set of vented discs and calipers for you for the 13" rim.