I need to learn to weld, or scrap my micra :(

lee k0011

I hate rust :(
Decided to have a poke around under the micra today, as we are coming to winter and i wonted to do some rust proofing..
I found an old repair that looked a bit dodgy, so gave it a poke and ended up with what you can see in the picture:(.
I didn't even hit it with a hammer, just gave it a prod with the jack hammer.

I also found to other spots that are quite bad.

So i am worried that if i cant fix it my self, My micra will be go'n to car heaven :(
zzz 003.JPG

Could you not just buy another one and re-shell it? there are alot of cheap k11's on ebay and gumtree. but then again keeping another k11 on the road and leaving some for other drivers to experience does seem like a good idea

I was going to put a thread up like this myself, as I had a check over on my car when I did a service on it and found some nasty looking bubbles on the back of the sill, but it turned out just to be surface rust. After id done mine I thought id check my mums micra, it looked ok but after a good poke at the rear of the sills its peppered with holes, the front looks worst but i havnt had a chance to poke it yet.
Even if your micra looks ok, have a poke and it might be early enough to catch it when its just surface rust, if its worst it saves the MOT man catching it and all the inconvienience that goes with it.

Its repairable matey. Shame again that someone who needs welding doing is soooo far from me.
I will make a decision this week and buy a welder if i am go'n to fix it. Wonted one for a while now any way.And my dad is a fabricator welder by trade any way so he will help me out..

I was going to put a thread up like this myself, as I had a check over on my car when I did a service on it and found some nasty looking bubbles on the back of the sill, but it turned out just to be surface rust. After id done mine I thought id check my mums micra, it looked ok but after a good poke at the rear of the sills its peppered with holes, the front looks worst but i havnt had a chance to poke it yet.
Even if your micra looks ok, have a poke and it might be early enough to catch it when its just surface rust, if its worst it saves the MOT man catching it and all the inconvienience that goes with it.
I only went under mine to give it a lic of paint. But thort it was funny when the aerier i was wire brushing was moving. A bit of poking later and i ended up with this.

It is amazing just how quick it can rust tho..

i,ve been welding since the 70,s :) but i hav,nt had to weld any of my k11,s tho, i PROTECT them from rusting, sooooo easy but nobody seems to bother FFS :rolleyes:

Mine was rusty when I got it, couldnt afford a rust free example :(
Same here. Mine had already rusted and been patched when i got it. And never intended to keep it for long.
But here we are years later and i'm quite attached to it now. Just such a good run around!!

Same here. Mine had already rusted and been patched when i got it. And never intended to keep it for long.
But here we are years later and i'm quite attached to it now. Just such a good run around!!
I know what you mean, I bought mine as a cheap runaround for a couple of months in January 2011 :D

i,ve been welding since the 70,s :) but i hav,nt had to weld any of my k11,s tho, i PROTECT them from rusting, sooooo easy but nobody seems to bother FFS :rolleyes:
I waxoil all of my motors every year.

Sent from my NOVO7PALADIN using Tapatalk 2

Is that where the C-series started?

no, these were a single speed with pedals, for the newly introduced moped law (if i was a few months older i could,ve got a 250 :()
the 3 speed C50 had been around for a while, but had no pedals :rolleyes:

Ah right, I got it the wrong way round then. All the mopeds had pedals when I was 16 too, FS1E, SS50, Cimatti sagittario etc

8743.jpg

Oh and just to get back on track I actually started a welding course last week, and ran my first beads with a stick welder this morning :)

Back