I give up

h701micra

Deactivated Account
In need of serious help here.
My brain is that frazzled and I'm that irritated with the whole car I cant think straight.

It's getting fuel, spark, compression but will not run
Tried 17 times to start it but nothing
Varied timing as it's a new dizzy
Cleaned up the plugs, leads and coil connection.
Varied fuel pressure though I cant check it as the gauge spacking about
Its runs if the starter keeps turning it

And dya know what I couldn't care less if it burst into flames. Been nothing but a constant let down since January

So anyone ANY ideas? @frank @pollyp @enuo @micrade @sirchris @karlj @noddie @skinner_87

Only goes on one way :(

I must add it did run for approx 10 seconds on its own after throttle being held wide open... sounded like a rally car on the limiter then eventually it gained rpm. Almost like launch control :/

After it died I tightened the exhaust and cleaned plugs. Hasn't ran again

Was told that there was splashing/vapour/smoke
Can't be sure if it was the starter smoking ir whatever.

I turned the pumps off in case it was flooding still no joy

The pressure regulator you have with the return mate have you had to adjust that at all? When mine first arrived it was way off pressure wise (even though it was supposed to come ready to fit) had to turn it right down!

Not to sound rude, check the HT's are all where they should be?

Its ok mate your not sounding rude. The obvious is usually missed. I'll double check
With it not starting I wound it out and it ran and subsequently died within seconds.... I'll try winding it right in

On another note... this launch control style attitude it has also happened before the fuel system swap... the only thing I can think of then is I had the inlet mani off to paint it though I'm sure its ran since...
Vacuum leak?

I do appreciate the input :)

Was about to say vacuum. But you will still get idle no? Sorry my help is limited. Will have a think, I would bet over fuelling
... You had to wot so more air. Check you at getting fuel to the carbs effciently.?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

It should idle but its shutting off as soon as I let off the starter button :(
I can see there's fuel in the carb through its little window. Had a wet plug in cyl1 only.
I'll look at jets
Limited help or not Chris I appreciate it :)

Lol it's okay. It does sound fuel related you did have to give it a shag load of air init

Literally just been informed... the misses who was sat in the picasso jumping this off has said "I saw something 'splashing' up from the back of the engine"
Can only be fuel
So overfuelling it is?
Starting to calm down and thinking about it

1378205231516.jpg

Bearing in mind that I cleaned these not long ago :/

Now work this out... Why goes half of my dash lights only come on when I lift the handbrake...

Cant see them mate to be honest. I'll get a torch. It appears the carb is now empty :/ pressed the priming pump and it squirts fuel ok. But it soon loses pressure

That plug pic was from cyl 1. The rest were clean. And 4 was wet

If the floats have sunk the dash pots will flood and it'll allow excess fuel into the cylinders eh. That along with the autochoke and you'll be far too rich. take off auto choke and see if it runs.

I took tge 'bi-metallic' cover (as haynes call it) and the fast idle cam was dangling in the wind. Connected that back to the choke rod.
Reckon that'll solve it

I took tge 'bi-metallic' cover (as haynes call it) and the fast idle cam was dangling in the wind. Connected that back to the choke rod.
Reckon that'll solve it
Dangling usually isn't the way to go.. Unless ur at some exotic party

If the floats have sunk the dash pots will flood and it'll allow excess fuel into the cylinders eh. That along with the autochoke and you'll be far too rich. take off auto choke and see if it runs.
Hmm... and how will I get to these floats... got the little window which according to the diagram is direct access tl the floats... maybe try and pull them up and check condition?

Hmm... and how will I get to these floats... got the little window which according to the diagram is direct access tl the floats... maybe try and pull them up and check condition?
Need to check the valves close when the floats rise aswell, fuel crap can jam them open. Is it twin or single carb?

Fuel is a little high but it doesn't rise any further than that. So I'm guessing feeds ok from the pump now... just nothing from there

I'll try the air lock idea next

But... I've reset timing to 10 BTDC and it seems alot more keen to start. Still only firing on 1 cylinder which I assume is cylinder 4 again
Running out of ideas

Plus I've kicked it that hard I can barely walk/stand

I'll try the air lock idea next

But... I've reset timing to 10 BTDC and it seems alot more keen to start. Still only firing on 1 cylinder which I assume is cylinder 4 again
Running out of ideas

Plus I've kicked it that hard I can barely walk/stand

Whats the spark like on all 4 mate? nothing to do with the coil?

Coil is a couple of months. In fact it has barely done anything yet :/
1&4 very strong 2&3 are strong but not as good as the other 2
They're new bosch super 4. Swap for NGK?

Surely fuel to one cylinder means fuel to all of them with a single carb? I would say spark, re-check timing and remember that spark in cylinder conditions can differ to the spark you see when you check. You are double double sure your firing order is right? Could be worth just trying swapping 2&3 ???

Just spoke to my grandad he knows more about carbs than I do and says have you checked the condition of the needles? No idea what hes on about...
But from what youve said so far he says his mg bgt had the same problem one was broken and another blocked... swapped the parts and fired on all 4 :confused:
Good luck mate :)

Firing order is correct :) its even imprinted on the dizzy cap.
Just ordered a new dizzy cap. Here at 8.30am tomorrow. The only thing that isn't new on ignition system

I've operated my throttle linkage a few time and my secondary bore doesnt open. Opens slightly but not fully :/

Fuel need could well need checking. I suspected them at the start but pulling the carb apart put me off the idea

Firing order is correct :) its even imprinted on the dizzy cap.
Just ordered a new dizzy cap. Here at 8.30am tomorrow. The only thing that isn't new on ignition system

I've operated my throttle linkage a few time and my secondary bore doesnt open. Opens slightly but not fully :/

Fuel need could well need checking. I suspected them at the start but pulling the carb apart put me off the idea
Is the secondary more air flow operated? (I'm not much good with cars but i remember my old bike the piston used to rise the the amount of air flowing through.

Back