I caught the Micra Bug (any tips for a beginner)

Gday all, first time poster on this forum, but heard its the place to be so i will give it a crack.

Through no fault of my own i have gotten into possession of a rough as guts K11 about 1-2 months ago and boy oh boy i have caught the bug.

Was sceptical to give it a crack but down here in Victoria, Australia, we have been put into full lockdown due to corona virus, so it has given me time to take a good long look at it. (plus i needed to retire my primary car (08 Ford Falcon XR6T) to a weekender as it burns fuel likes its going out of fashion, and apparently its a 1 of 1 (which gives me more reason to retire it). Anyhow enough chirping on from me, i am writing on the forum to ask if there is any major things i should be on the lookout for in the Micra, as the only experience i have on a Japanese car is flat towing it gorilla-warfare style pre-lockdown (and getting it running).

I have figured out the basics of servicing it, but would like to know if there is any things that might catch me out?

Thanks all,

Mach 1 Muppet

Hi!

There great little engines as they are is so much cross-compatibility with engines of the same era. Some straight swaps:

- An airbox from a GA16DE engine slots straight on and gives a small performance boost, also makes it sound throatier when accelerating.
- Thottle body from a GA15DE engine slots straight on as well.
- Exhaust manifold is also a huge limitation, but only the super rare Nissan Cube Z10 Alpha had a manifold that is a straight swap. There are custom manifolds available though from Janspeed / Gizfab.
- Fuel injectors from a GA16DE fit the fuel rail.
- If its a 1.0 litre, the cams from a 1.3 slot straight in.

Of course, at a certain point remapping is required but there are still people offering this. There are also some easy swaps in terms of trim / speedo etc.

In terms of issues, one of the common ones is the Distributor going (if you have a Dizzy / not coil-pack). I think most Micra's end-up dying due to rust, especially around the sills - so its always worth keeping an eye on this and making sure you have a proper undercoat.

Last edited:
Hi!

There great little engines as they are is so much cross-compatibility with engines of the same era. Some straight swaps:

- An airbox from a GA16DE engine slots straight on and gives a small performance boost, also makes it sound throatier when accelerating.
- Thottle body from a GA15DE engine slots straight on as well.
- Exhaust manifold is also a huge limitation, but only the super rare Nissan Cube Z10 Alpha had a manifold that is a straight swap. There are custom manifolds available though from Janspeed / Gizfab.
- Fuel injectors from a GA16DE fit the fuel rail.
- If its a 1.0 litre, the cams from a 1.3 slot straight in.

Of course, at a certain point remapping is required but there are still people offering this. There are also some easy swaps in terms of trim / speedo etc.

In terms of issues, one of the common ones is the Distributor going (if you have a Dizzy / not coil-pack). I think most Micra's end-up dying due to rust, especially around the sills - so its always worth keeping an eye on this and making sure you have a proper undercoat.
Thanks alot mate! thats fantastic information, i am getting really keen to dive into this little gem!

No worries mate. Caught the same bug a couple of years ago. Depends on how deep you wanna go. You can literally start with an airbox swap to a 2litre turbo engine swap with everything in between :D

One thing to note is if you are Auzzy based you might be a better position to locate some stuff as slightly different versions of the engines were released on that side of the world!

No worries mate. Caught the same bug a couple of years ago. Depends on how deep you wanna go. You can literally start with an airbox swap to a 2litre turbo engine swap with everything in between :D

One thing to note is if you are Auzzy based you might be a better position to locate some stuff as slightly different versions of the engines were released on that side of the world!
Hi! im a new user and i wondered if anyone knew anyone selling a k11/k10 in the caerphilly area in south wales,many thanks,welshmicrafan