Hydrauliced my 1.0, about to replace it....

...only thing is, mine is a 1.0 2000 Celebration, and the engine I have is from an M reg. Both say CG10 on them, but by the looks of things the original engine had electronic distributor and the replacement has a traditional distributor. The connecter on the loom is the same, so will I get away with a straight swap ? Also is there anything else that I've not considered ? Thanks :)

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
If you mean that your original engine has coil per plug distribution, then you will not get away with a straight swap - you will need the head of the original engine on your replacement one.
Other than that, it is a straight swap.
Craig

Also, what is hydrauliced?

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
I believe the head is different between the two engines. The CG10 Post 2000 has coil packs where as the Pre 2000 CG10 is distributor.

To get the Pre 2000 to work with the post 2000 you would need to change the head.

Otherwise you'd have to change the entire loom and ECU to suit the Pre-2000 engine.

The coil pack version CG10 had an extra 5 BHP over the distributor CG10 engine.

Also, what is hydrauliced?

You beat me craig :(

Also yeah....what is it? lol

OP
OP
A
Hi, perhaps my spelling is poor, what I mean by hydrauliced is I drove it into some unexpectedly deep water, some of which got sucked into two of the cylinders and bent at least one con rod. Kept driving it for about 3 months with it sounding like a tractor till finally it threw the piston a few weeks ago, with a big bang and a lot of smoke.

What would be the definitive way of telling which form of ignition each engine has ? They look very similar but as if the distributor has been rotated slightly.

Regarding the crank sensor, are we saying that the original engine had one but the replacement won't ?

Thanks so far !

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Ah, totally fubared then.
If, instead of HT leads and a spark plug, you have a little box and a wire on top of each cyliner, then you have coiul per plug, if not, then you have single coil distribution.
Can you get a pic?
Craig

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
That is correct. The new engine you have will not have th crank sensor, but it will be on the loom. As far as I know the engine may not start at all without the crank sensor.

You will require a CG10 from 2000+ K11.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
0206_12lo.jpg

or:
micra1416v.jpg

Craig

frank

Club Member
aberant

the older engine should have a cam sensor in the dizzy, but you might be able to wire it in (but it will have 1/2 the pulses. so might not work ?)

OP
OP
A
Could get a pic tomorrow but am currently in bed waiting for pain killers to kick in (throat infection). However, there's no little box on top of the plugs in either engine - both HT leads from distributor, just that one distributor looks as if its been rotated about 20 degrees.

My god you guys are quick ! Craig - its def the first one in both cases, though looking at it ur pic is for a car that doesn't have power steering and mine does ? Muchos thanks for the excellent help guys

OP
OP
A
Well that's spot on then - I was under the impression they changed the engine in 2000, guess it was 2000.5 they changed it since mine was first reg in march :D Out of interest, any of you guys own Vauxhalls ?

OP
OP
A
Lol Ok no worries, just because I work for Vx, thought I might be of some assistance to someone :) So if my engine has dizzy, is it likely that the crank sensor issue is sorted as well ?

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Lol Ok no worries, just because I work for Vx, thought I might be of some assistance to someone :) So if my engine has dizzy, is it likely that the crank sensor issue is sorted as well ?

Just one question, I replaced a radiator on a birds Tigra, and there's some random thing on the RH side of the engine bay that fell off. It's a round plastic tub which had some kind of filter which just fell apart when the lid came off. I have no idea what it is!!! It looks as if it was connected to some kind of motor type device which looked as if it was connected to the top of the exhaust.

Here's a pictrue I found on the world wide web. It's the thing covered in green tape!

And we don't all own Jap cars, I have an RS Turbo'd Orion :D And an ST24

Attachments

• cc14_4.JPG
    cc14_4.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 240

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Erm, P reg, 1.6. Is probably my fault for changing a radiator in the cold and dark. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, was down to feel alone.

It looks as if it's connected to the top of the manifold via another pipe.

OP
OP
A
Morning, will try to confirm when I get to work but faily confident this is part of the EVAP system, is a carbon canister which absorbs fuel vapours and sends it back into the intake manifold to ensure as few hydrocarbons as poss are released to the atmos. Don't think this would affect MOT etc but might monkey with the ECU since usually they have a solenoid that opens now and then to send the vapours to the intake manifold - might be an idea to run a diagnostic if you've got the kit :)

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
By Hydrauliced i think you mean Hydro-Locked

Wiki

Hope this clears things up a bit - seen it once or twice - can be pretty nasty!