Hub nut size (again!)

I'm guessing that this is one of the most frequently asked questions on here, purely because you can't search for 'hub' or 'nut' using the search function above which seems silly. Words such as 'and' or 'the' I can understand but not hub or nut on a car forum.

Anyways, I managed to find a thread where someone said they think that the socket needed for the front hub nuts on a k11 micra is 32mm. Can anyone verify this before I buy the socket?

Cheers

If you mean the wheel nuts, 19mm is correct, if you mean the actual hub nut (that holds the driveshaft on and has the split pin in it) then 32mm sounds about right.
If in doubt, then muasure the width of the bolt in mm and that is the socket size you need :)

Yeah, I mean the hub nut on the end of the CV joint with the split pin in front of it. I'll give it a go with a ruler tomorrow before I order one, although it may be tough as you can't get a ruler flush with the face because of its location and the CV thread sticking through it.

Yeah, you can still get the ruler flush enough to the thread to get a good read, like I said, I am prett sure that it is 32mm, but for the few quid you can save, it is worth it.
You changing cv joint then?

Craig said:
Yeah, you can still get the ruler flush enough to the thread to get a good read, like I said, I am prett sure that it is 32mm, but for the few quid you can save, it is worth it.
You changing cv joint then?

Yeah, changing the CV joint, its making some horrible clicking noises and the boot is more than just split, its wrecked. I've got a lovely new CV joint sat on the kitchen table ready to go on. Thought I'd get it done yesterday but I don't have a socket that will fit it.

I'll give it a measure then go down my local motor factors and get the right socket. I'm not used to this CV joint malarky, my other cars RWD.

Prepare for an absolute pig of a job, my CV joint didn't want to come off, so it had to be persuaded off with a kack on either side of it whilst being held in a vice.
It is much easier to get new driveshaft+inner CV, plug that all together and just swap over.
Let us know if you have any probs :)
Craig

Yeah, your not the first one to say that. I've braced myself and I've got a 4lb hammer at the ready. I'm guessing that thinking I'll get it off without having to pull the driveshaft out the gearbox is very wishful thinking.

Yeah, I thought I may well end up accidently pulling the driveshaft out the box. I know it would be easier to replace the whole thing but as you can see by my name this car is my 2nd car and is being run on a serious budget. Having only spent £130 for the car I've not really enjoyed spending another £20 on a CV joint and then another £20 on a water pump but I need it to pass its MOT, its going to be used for commuting.

I was going to change the gearbox oil anyway eventually but was put off by the price of the stuff and the fact I need 4 litres of it. Ah well, if the driveshaft pops out then I'll have to change it anyways. I'm starting to spend more on this than my 200sx!

I'm hoping once these jobs are finished I can get on with a happy and cheap ownership, thats once I change the rear engine mount grr

Lol, many small things, try going to a motor factors, I got my gear oil for about £15 IIRC, is another irritating job to change though.
I found that a "suitable lever" (as Haynes calls it) for removing the driveshaft from the gear box was the smallest extension bar from my socket set, when it gives it will pretty much pop off, so be warned!

Yes, for future reference it is a 30mm socket. It arrived this morning. I got a britool one off ebay for £3.99 delivered (absolute bargain!)

The good thing about the wait was that it gave the WD40 a week to work its magic on the hubnut and I managed to get it off easier than the standard wheel nuts!

Next job was removing the CV joint, I gripped the driveshaft with my left hand and took a hammer to the old CV joint, I hit it hard about 20 times until finally it came free, result, I didn't have to remove the driveshaft.

Its a disgustingly messy job, I'm so glad my 100 latex gloves arrived at the same time as my hub nut socket. I'm hoping its going to stop raining soon, I've done the whole job under a golf umbrella, it was sunny when I started so I decided to do the job on the driveway rather than the garage, sods law, the heavens opened just as I got the hub off.

lol..it was me that told you it as a 32mm socket.i dunno why cos i have a nut on my computer desk for some reason.i should have just measured it

Cheapskate said:
I'm hoping once these jobs are finished I can get on with a happy and cheap ownership, thats once I change the rear engine mount grr

erm i might have one laying round for you

I'm not sure it actually needs changing now to be honest. I managed to get hold of a picture of one and the rubber in the middle isn't a round shape like I was expecting, its a sort of cats eye slit, exactly like mine. I thought it was split but it doesn't seem to be. Cheers for the offer though.

Today was annoying in the end, I was doing the CV joint on a gravel drive, got the joint off and realised that so I didn't damage the gaitor I'd have to take the split rings off as well. I got the square big split ring off ok, but the little split ring, despite coming off relatively easily pinged as it came off. I heard it land somewhere behind me but I can't for the life of me find it. I went down Nissan expecting them to have a spare but they didn't, they have to order it. It won't be in until Thursday. Great, my car pretty much lives on Axel stands.

Back