How viable is a 1l as a track car?

So I've been after a K11 micra for a few months and have recently discovered this forum. I've been looking to get a 1.3 or 1.4 but it's proving really difficult to find a decent one for sale, I'm now considering getting a 1l as they seem to be more readily available then eventually swapping a 1.3 or 1.4 into it but I'm just wondering if the 1l is OK as a track car even with about 20 less bhp?

Also my main track will be three sisters circuit which is quite a small track

I appreciate any feedback

So I've been after a K11 micra for a few months and have recently discovered this forum. I've been looking to get a 1.3 or 1.4 but it's proving really difficult to find a decent one for sale, I'm now considering getting a 1l as they seem to be more readily available then eventually swapping a 1.3 or 1.4 into it but I'm just wondering if the 1l is OK as a track car even with about 20 less bhp?

Also my main track will be three sisters circuit which is quite a small track

I appreciate any feedback
The 1.3s and 1.4s are obviously faster than the 1Ls with the 25hp difference. It is noticeable enough that people do usually build them as track cars rather than the 1L, cause you can get more performance for the same amount of money effectively since they've all depreciated to pocket change. That being said, 1Ls are way way more common than the 1.3s and especially the 1.4s like you say.

My 1L is slow as anything but it's an absolute blast to drive cause you can just boot it everywhere and chuck it round corners like it's nothing cause the car is so light hahaha. I'm almost certain that if you build a track car from a 1L, stripping it out etc, you're gonna have one hell of a time

My take would be to go for a 1L S model (like mine) as it's the lightest, gut it and run with that for a bit and then swap in a 1.4 and boost it

OP
OP
E

EnZ

Attachments

• 20210401_195345.jpg
    20210401_195345.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 153
Just picked this up tonight not the s but will do
Nice one, looks in really good nick! Much better than mine hahaha. If I'm right in saying the weight difference between the lightest and heaviest trims across all K11s is like 50kg or something so it's really nothing to worry about too much. ?

OP
OP
E

EnZ

Nice one, looks in really good nick! Much better than mine hahaha. If I'm right in saying the weight difference between the lightest and heaviest trims across all K11s is like 50kg or something so it's really nothing to worry about too much. ?
Yeah it's really good condition with only 36k miles, ill feel bad ripping it apart ?

I guess it depends what you mean by viable as a track car
If you want it to keep up with things it probably won't but you could still have a riot if you throw some handling bits at it and go full attack like on Country lanes

And there's always engine swaps when money allows

OP
OP
E

EnZ

I guess it depends what you mean by viable as a track car
If you want it to keep up with things it probably won't but you could still have a riot if you throw some handling bits at it and go full attack like on Country lanes

And there's always engine swaps when money allows
Not interested in keeping up to everything, just want to throw a little hatchback around a track lol, I picked up a really tidy k11 last night but now it's almost to tidy to rqg around so thinking of selling it and finding one thats a bit more rough lol. If I decide to keep it I'll definitely focus on handling bits first then likely do an engine swap down the line