How to treat a few rust patches underneath K11

Hi guys and girls,
Newbie here with the well trodden question of how best to treat some surface rust patches under a k11.

I started this time last year witha few treatments just to see what would work as a test.
I sprayed some rust patches with zinc 182 and some rust as come back .
I painted other patches with rustoleum paint which did not take to the metal to well even tho I cleaned the metal quite well with a dremel.

The best result I have had over the last year is a mixture of the two treatments 182 and rustoleum. I thought this combined with a third type of treatment like tetrasyl uderseal tar stuff or waxoly might be the best ?

What do you good people think?
Seems like a bit of a minefield with all sorts of products mentioned like dinatrol , por 15 exctra...
Also, thought I would go down the budget product route incase it all goes pear shape ;-)

Many thanks in advance for any input received.

I had extensive welding from the middle door post back done on the box section/sills 4 years ago and poured a bottle of k-rust into each side during mot prep with the car on ramps to the front then from the back,,, this year I had to re-patch the middle of the first patch as it had rusted through.. this year I am considering red oxide paint applied by drilling holes from the inside along the inner sill or going the whole hog and getting the £80 kit for sealing flat bed trucks that is almost guaranteed to stop rust in the box section in its tracks.. normally I would swear by the k-rust but it did let me down protecting the sills. if you look at the box section on a 2003 almera it has drainage to stop water lying,, a buddy of mine who does a LOT of welding on k11's reckons the sealed box is a design flaw.

I had extensive welding from the middle door post back done on the box section/sills 4 years ago and poured a bottle of k-rust into each side during mot prep with the car on ramps to the front then from the back,,, this year I had to re-patch the middle of the first patch as it had rusted through.. this year I am considering red oxide paint applied by drilling holes from the inside along the inner sill or going the whole hog and getting the £80 kit for sealing flat bed trucks that is almost guaranteed to stop rust in the box section in its tracks.. normally I would swear by the k-rust but it did let me down protecting the sills. if you look at the box section on a 2003 almera it has drainage to stop water lying,, a buddy of mine who does a LOT of welding on k11's reckons the sealed box is a design flaw.

Sounds like a good idea with the Kit for sealing flatbeds. I will have a look for that stuff myself.
I got almost same car as you but a 2001 two door.
I had two minor patches welded underneath the driver rear sill this time last year and have two more welded on the other side tomorrow.

I sprayed some waxoyl in the sill when the car was new but don't think I did a thorough enough job to spray it all. I should have filled the sills up with a few litres of waxoyl, sealed the holes at the bottom, took the car out for a run to slosh the waxoyl around the sills properly. Then, drained the oyl before it cooled down but ublocking the drain holes.
I will probably do this with that kit you are talking about as you only get one chance unless there is a better product available. Thanks for the tip.

Hello again,
I am about to rustproof my sills as you have been talking about here.
Dinatrol seems to very popular on here and many other threads.
Are you still thinking about that kit for sealing flatbed trucks? Whats it called by the way? sound good.
Hope it all works out for you anyways.

scorps

Back