How to tell if...

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
how do you tell if the cam belt/chain is ####ed?

car went into the garage for an electrical fault and comes out with the chain needs changing at a cost of £1000!!!

Manny

Ex. Club Member
chains got noting to do with electrical fault. if garage did something to it tell them to sort it out for you.

OP
OP
A

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
we had "chain" issues last year but it turned out to be the sensor, which was replaced.

i dont think the car has been anywhere, so i suspect they havent done anything to it. i just want to test myself to see if there is something up with the chain

Alexx117

STI
Club Member
it will rattle when its idling anyway depending on the mileage.. the chain should last the lifetime of the car. what mileage is the car?

frank

Club Member
keyless entry and chain/sensor, sounds k12-esque to me ??
i would take someone who knows a bit about cars to the garage and get the garage to clarify

OP
OP
A

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
i just dont understand when looking for an electrical fault how they would find a problem with the chain. they would have to take bits off the engine to get to it and then turn it. makes no sense to me.

anyone local in the essex area in the know who wants to offer help me take a look?

OP
OP
A

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
keyless entry and chain/sensor, sounds k12-esque to me ??
i would take someone who knows a bit about cars to the garage and get them to clarify

yes keyless entry and sensor.

me and my dad know a bit about cars, but nothing abut micras and chains. this is the problem

its a 52plate shape car like below. keyless entry, 5 door etc,,,

31692.jpg

OP
OP
A

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
yeah im searching now as we speak.

from what ive read, if it needs changing it will make alot of noise. if you cant hear it, it should be ok

frank

Club Member
yeah im searching now as we speak.

from what ive read, if it needs changing it will make alot of noise. if you cant hear it, it should be ok

no, thats the k11,s, k12,s throw the cam and crank sensors out of sync long before they get noisy

OP
OP
A

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
yeah clio 182 which gives me no trouble.

but the wifes micra is a bag of #### and has been no end of trouble. got an electrical fault the battery dies after a day and i cant find the problem. spark plugs need changing which i need to do. the garage recon the chain needs doing and theres oil being pumped somewhere where it shouldnt?? i need to go and speak to them about that one.

OP
OP
A

andy_con

Club Member (Trial)
ok cheers, they want 1k to change it.

plus extra to fix the other faults which dont existing as far as im concerned. how can the injectors need chaning when the car drives perfect. nobs

Manny

Ex. Club Member
ok cheers, they want 1k to change it.

plus extra to fix the other faults which dont existing as far as im concerned. how can the injectors need chaning when the car drives perfect. nobs

andy take to a couple ov garages and see what they say. then you will get a better idea.

frank

Club Member
also what causes the chain to stretch and how do i prevent it from happening in the future?

the factory used a substandard chain but wont admit it fwn , and the genuine replacement chains are,nt made of chocolate any more (i would,nt fit a copy one personally, but they may be ok)

also what causes the chain to stretch and how do i prevent it from happening in the future?

RENAULT is what happened! They took over and everything was built to a price not a standard.
Just before Christmas 09, our Anne-Maries 04 K12 has less than 25k from new, and woops, the dreaded plasticine cam chain jinx struck
The unfriendly local Nissan/Renault stealers then produced a bill of over £1k