How to take off the crankshaft pulley???

M

MrK10

I need sum help on how to remove the nut without turning the crankshaft sprocket as so i can access the screw holding the lower cover of the timing belt?

Put the socket over the nut. The tension on the belt gives slight resistance.

Give it a quick yank to jerk it free.

A few jerks on it soon releases it

It can sometimes be too tight and you may have to take off the starter motor and jam the flywheel, easily done. You cannot remove the covers without removing the crankshaft pulley, you will also have to remove the engine mounting, a bit fiddly.

Would have thought that was a recipe for broken flywheel teeth... Put it in 5th and use the resulting tension to undo the nut. Sharp movements like sketch says work best. Don't worry about getting it misaligned as the pulley is keyed so it only fits in one place. Once the nut is loose you can realign marks if you need to. Good luck.

well most wont have access to that so get a tough wrench and hit the end with a hammer. The shock loading will undo the nut easily, and you wont be jamming or forcing anything.

Ed

Jamming the flywheel is the recommended way in all workshop manuals. Unless you have a pit or hoist for a 90 degree plus swing there is too much spring and give through the clutch and shafts. If you do have air tools the vibration loosening puts much less torque on the crankshaft.

I maintain that the easiest way is the one I mentoned in the post above. You dont need to jam anything..

with a MA10 pull i jam something between the spoked and the front of the block, but an MA12 pully is solid.

If you can have someone to help you, then there's no problem. Just put the fifth gear in and let you buddy press the brakes when you are trying to undo the bolt of the crankshaft pulley. This is how I've always done this and I've noticed that this is the easiest way

Back