How to replace front door speakers

Hi

I am quite new at doing things on my Micra still. I have just about managed to put a sub, amp and some rear speakers in but i want to upgrade the front door speakers.

I have got some Sony 6.5' speakers to put in the front door as I am not a fan of the factory ones. I have a V reg K11 with manual DIY windows.

I have had a look round on the forum how to do this but I am still a bit unsure. Do I need to take of the handle to wind down the window and do I actually need to take the door card off? Some idiot proof step by step instructions/link to video ect would be very much appretiated.

Thanks lads, Ryan

Yeah the door card will need to come off and removing the window winder is a must aswell.
The old speaker will just unplug and then 3 screws or something to take out. But if your new speakers are not the same size as the factory standard models then you will need to make some mdf templates to fit the speakers onto then fix them onto standard screw wholes on the door.

Replacing front speakers is very easy,
You need to remove the door card by first unscrewing the arm rest screws and then removing the winder handle (you need to lift a pin with a thin screwdriver to remove the winder)
Once these are off the door card will come off starting from the bottom lift away from the door and then lift the card vertically to remove.

As for the speaker, make sure battery negative is disconnected and make sure it is not touching any metal part of the car.
The plastic film lofts off carefully try not to rip it as it keeps moisture out (or tries to ;-))
Unscrew the 3 mounting screws and the seeker will be able to move forward. Unclip the plug from the back. This is the same for both sides.

Depending on which speakers you have you may need to cut the plug off the wires and then test which is + and which is -. I think but don't hold me to it *brown = +* & *black = -*

If the new speaker has a mounting depth of more than 54mm you will need a baffle to make sure it doesn't wobble or obstruct and part inside the door.
(I have however got away with a pair of 57mm speakers without a baffle but I would advise to fit one.

Once wired up properly replace th battery negative and test, if it works, great if not you may have the wires in the wrong way.
Once it is all working, replace the door cards by following in the steps to remove in reverse (obviously :)) replace the battery negative and make sure it is tightened up so it can't come off the terminal

Job done :D

You don't have to remove the whole door cover. You can just pull out the clips around the speaker and pull it out of the way. You'll have enough space to work in and you won't damage the cover.

Back