How to remove top strut nuts?

I tried to remove a front strut today and could not move the 2 top nuts that hold the strut onto the car body. The nuts seem to be made of soft material and are not rusted, they just seem to be as tight as hell. Any ideas?

I've had this problem before ( on a car at the local wreckers that I wanted the struts off ) I just used a hammer and punch to loosen the nut then just the regular 12mm socket to fully remove it, if you have already chewed up the nut ( once you have loosened it with the hammer and punch ) just tap on a slightly smaller imperial socket.
Good luck..

SteveG

Intake n exhaust almost done, suspension next :)
some people use an impact wrench/driver to get them off, that's one method - quick off...
the other way is to stop the damper rod spinning by clamping mole grips on the damper rod (to be able to stop it spinning) and then use a swan neck spanner or deep socket on the top nut.

I did it the second way pretty easily, I probably soaked the top nut with WD40 or GT85 first

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
davidxzy
I've had this problem before ( on a car at the local wreckers that I wanted the struts off ) I just used a hammer and punch to loosen the nut then just the regular 12mm socket to fully remove it, if you have already chewed up the nut ( once you have loosened it with the hammer and punch ) just tap on a slightly smaller imperial socket.
Good luck..

Cool, I'll try that.