How to remove top hat from front struts?

Hi, I'm wanting to take apart my shock to get access to the spring alone, however I'm not sure how to remove the single middle bolt which holds the top hat on. Do I need to grip the shock shaft with something and then try to remove it? Thanks!

I've not done micra ones, but usually they have a notch or flat on the top of the strut where it goes into the hat that stops it turning as you undo the nut.
Sometimes the flat turns in the hat which means you need to grab the shaft of the shock but this damages the chrome on the shaft which is nice and smooth so it doesn't tear the seals apart, not a problem if you're replacing the struts but if you are keeping them try to grip hoop high where the seals might not make it.
Keep in mind that I haven't done the micra ones so they may have a different trick to them.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
As said above, do NOT remove the nut without first securing the spring with spring compressors, a unsecured, released strut spring can be literally lethal :oops:....

OP
OP
JM_K11
Thanks alot, I've also heard of people using a proper impact wrench to quickly take of the top nut without the shock shaft turning with it. I have a pretty torquey electric impact wrench, do you reckon it will work like this?

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Whizz it off with the rattle gun, 19mm nut IIRC. Just do it with it pointing away from you, shouldn't be under that much tension.