How to remove old Alternator

I have found a few Alternators (2nd hand) on ebay for about £40 so i'm going to give them a try. My alternator is fine, but the bearing are about to jump out any time.

My question is how would i remove the Alternator on my DCI Micra? As space is limited. I think bumper off, Metal bar off that runs next to the headlight and will have to see where to go from there.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
X
Ok, To remove it on a Micra 1.5 DCI.

Remove the Ground wire on the battery. You have to jack the car up. But hold on my car is lowered so my Trolley jack is not going under it. So you get the original jack and jack it up enough so the trolley jack can get under the car. Remove the Driver side wheel, Inner Arch Lining, Driver side headlight, Front bumper from Driver side and bend that a bit out of the way(Or remove completely if you don't want to risk damaging it), Then If you look closely. the panel the headlight is screwed into you can remove that aswell. Remove the intercooler piping that is in the way of the alternator so it can be removed later. (82hp model)

Gracefully you have just enough access to get a ratchet (SIZE 13mm Socket) on the 2 bolts for the Alternator. Then you start undoing it, Takes about 7 mins per bolt with many positition changes and changing hand. Then You unscrew the bottom bolt, Again takes about 7 minutes while changing postition every other minute and hand.

Atlast you think you are getting somewhere but WAIT. The damn bottom screw is not going to come out. Why is this???????????????????? The ####ing chassis is stopping it from coming out(FRENCH FAIL). So now You get your trolley jack under the sump and support the engine. Then undo the 3 nuts Size 13mm again with your ratchet and extension bar. Now you lower the engine just enough so the bottom screw on the alternator can come out but not damage any wires or anything. So you have finally got the other bolt out, By now time has progressed into 2 hours later. (all that fannying about)

Now you are going to have to get some crow bar and break the rust seals and start removing it and fidgeting with it untill it comes out. Once it is out you throw the alternator on the pavement and have a rest. and lay down on the wet grass. (assuming you live in the UK)

Thats it for today, I will continue this when i get my new aternator and belt.

I put the headlight back in and put the bumper in(clipped in and only 1 screw) Wheel back on axle stand, jack and tools in car. No one is going to take them this time. (assuming you live in Aldershot)