how to remove oil filter?

hi just today i realised my k11 is leaking (only abit tho) well anyway me and my friend checked it and he said it seems to be the oil filter. Can it be? can an oil filter leak? how does it happen, what actually went wrong with it?
and is it possible for me and my friend to do it or is it a garage job?
how do you take the oil filter off anyway? thanks in advance

it'll only leak if its slightly loose...it could be just a spill from when it was fitted (depending on when that was done) its easy to do it yourself...you just gotta reach around the back of the engine, grab the filter and undo counterclockwise.

obviously youd be trying to tighten it up first incase it is loose, as if youre gonna repalce the filter you may aswell do the oil aswell.

it is possible that when the filter was fitted, the surface was so dirty that oil can seep out. Other than that I can't imagine why a filter that is not damaged would be tight and leek. I would change the filter and change the oil. If the filter is on too tight, some people hammer a screw driver through it to get some leverage.

it is possible that when the filter was fitted, the surface was so dirty that oil can seep out. Other than that I can't imagine why a filter that is not damaged would be tight and leek. I would change the filter and change the oil. If the filter is on too tight, some people hammer a screw driver through it to get some leverage.

richj & solarice i've tried to get it off but it seems really tight and its too hard to take off! any ideas of how to take it off without damaging it? plus how do you change the oil in the oil filter?

a rubber glove maybe, but if its that tight, chances are (unless its the situation that richj mentioned) it wont be leaking...and if you wanna replace it, doesnt really matter how it comes off :D

Oil filter gets its oil from the sump when you start the car. :)

richj & solarice i've tried to get it off but it seems really tight and its too hard to take off! any ideas of how to take it off without damaging it? plus how do you change the oil in the oil filter?

thgink they are like £7 ish do go buy one and jab a screw driver through the old one and twist to get it of if you cant by hand. But by the sounds on its probs not the oil filter leaking, plus its not a common place for oil to leak from in my experience.

well thanks guys... do use suggest me to change the oil filter anyway coz its never been done as im sure. only by the first owner he did it. 2nd owner had it for 5years and only been service once since the 2nd owner! guys could you tell me what to change for the my k11 i.e spark plugs etc etc? thanks alot much appreciated

I would do
oil
oil filter
air filter
plugs
fuel filter
In fact i do this every time i buy a used car i evn do cambelt (if got one)
i then no when it was done

fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine bay, on the bulk head, little metal cylinder with an inlet on the bottom and outlet on the top. before you change it remove the fuse and start the engine till it dies, then try starting a couple of times.

ohh ok modded micra thanks. im going to be doig that this week as i couldn't get the stuff. should be done by tomorrow or something. well hopefully..

it might be the oil pressure sender which is just above the filter... this can leak if fitted too tightly or knocked when replacing the filter....

might be worth a check, dont over tighten through as its tapered and can split or crack the block...

it might be the oil pressure sender which is just above the filter... this can leak if fitted too tightly or knocked when replacing the filter....

might be worth a check, dont over tighten through as its tapered and can split or crack the block...

Anthony what do you suggest me to do. seems like garage couldn't figure the problem but they think it might be a leak not sure! lol and tried taking £20 just for checkig it but i hustled my way out of it lol :D.. well anyway maybe richj was right! well anyway im not so fussed about that coz seems ok. But as wrighty said thats what i'm going to be doing. like it needs a little service. oil pressure sender where does that be? you think i should check it out mate?

Back