How to remove bolt from rear axle lower trailing link?

Hi all,

Hope someone can advise; I'm having to replace the rear axle on my '98 K11 and am stuck:

The lower trailing link bolts (axle side) will not come out. I've managed to remove the nuts from both o/s & n/s but I'm not able to pull the bolts out so can't disconnect lower tailing link from axle.

Can anyone explain how I'm supposed to get the bolts out? Originally I thought I just needed to find the correct height/angle to relieve any strain on the bolts - but doesn't matter what I do the bolts aren't moving - not even managed to turn the bolt in place.

If anyone could provide guidance on how I'm supposed to extract the bolts, please, I'd be extremely grateful.

yep just replaced a seized upper arm bolt but tis the same procedure for the lower if its seized

dsc09078-jpg.28934

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-105#post-667796

Thanks for the replies and the amazing reference/guide pollyp! Just wish I had your patience.

After reading your thread, I grinded/gound? the bolts off and released the lower links.

Things went bad after that... blunted new 6, 8 and 10mm bits and the first bolt was only drilled about two thirds of the way through. The prospect of using 9- 12 bits to drill both bolts put me off. Decided to remove the panhard instead at the point only to realise it's seized too. Inspecting the replacement axle showed the old panhard bush was also seized.

My patience wore out and I ended up destroying the three bushes instead, while that process provided some satisfaction, it means I now have to replace 3 bushes and rethread the panhard bolt if I'm to continue this job.

I'm taking a break for a few weeks while I decide if it's worth sinking more money and time in. I've never replaced bushes before, and after the hassle with the seized bolts I'm not sure I'm prepared to struggle on.

Again thanks for the help guys! Wish I had a better update.

Back