How to make my k10 a little faster?

Hey was just wondering if anyone knew any little tricks to speed up the k10s a little bit , mines the 1.0 litre and it is quite a nippy little car but can anyone tell me how to make it a bit faster on the cheap ? Cheers guys x

Hey was just wondering if anyone knew any little tricks to speed up the k10s a little bit , mines the 1.0 litre and it is quite a nippy little car but can anyone tell me how to make it a bit faster on the cheap ? Cheers guys x
Strip it out, everything! If you want seats and interior ect then your going to have to spend coin, i dont see the economical gain from that for the small ammount of power you'll get. Cheapest option is a Sunny engine but its no easy job. Get a 1.2GSX, they are 60bhp, 5spd and go a lot better than the 4spd 1.0.

OP
OP
wakyjaky
I have a 1 litre with a 5 speed gear box haha. I'm going to attempt to strip the back seats tonight , what about tampering with the air flow or anything , it just seems that anything over 60 it feels like my engine is going to blow up aha !!!
I want my k10 to do about 80mph maybe ?

Thanks , jack

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
normally the engine should easily go beyond the speedo scale, at least that is what I know what a normal K10 can do (170km/h)... If you don't reach the end of your speedo scale, than you should look at the engine, because something must be fishy there

OP
OP
wakyjaky
I'm pretty sure I could reach max (100mph in my speedo) but I would be screaming the absolute balls out of it. To be fair pushing 100mph in any 1.0l engine is a struggle , I want to know if there are any cheap mods I can do to increase the performance for example : acceleration and tourque. My engine is very healthy by the seem of things , I mean I would be able to tell from the sound of the engine if anything was 'fishy' surely ??? Is there any add ones I can buy for the engine ?

Thanks , jack.

I'm pretty sure I could reach max (100mph in my speedo) but I would be screaming the absolute balls out of it. To be fair pushing 100mph in any 1.0l engine is a struggle , I want to know if there are any cheap mods I can do to increase the performance for example : acceleration and tourque. My engine is very healthy by the seem of things , I mean I would be able to tell from the sound of the engine if anything was 'fishy' surely ??? Is there any add ones I can buy for the engine ?

Thanks , jack.
SU carb and custom inlet but it will cost you

OP
OP
wakyjaky
I have stripped the back seats and got all un-nessescary items out of the car. It has made a little nippier but not a great deal.
How much would a carb and custom inlet cost ? And are they hard to fit?
I Don't really want to spend money on another car seeing as I bought my k10 for £80 !!!!
I just want it to be faster !
There's gotta be someway of tuning the standard parts surely ?

Thanks jack.

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
I bought my car for 50€ :D and now it is one of the fastet non turbo micras. So spending money is necessary and a lot of fun :D

But SU carbs are not that expensive, just buy the right one and you don't even need an custom inlet, just an adapter plate (would not be the ideal way, but at least something cheap)

I have stripped the back seats and got all un-nessescary items out of the car. It has made a little nippier but not a great deal.
How much would a carb and custom inlet cost ? And are they hard to fit?
I Don't really want to spend money on another car seeing as I bought my k10 for £80 !!!!
I just want it to be faster !
There's gotta be someway of tuning the standard parts surely ?

Thanks jack.
Without spending money theres not much you can do, just keep stripping out any excess weight, have your flyweel skimmed and get a set of 13" lightweights that would give you much better acceleration, but again its gonna cost you. If you can do the work an engine transplant is the cheapest option, get a scrap 100nx, sunny or 1275 k11. All these produce between 75-95bhp, given the car weighs less than a bag of monster munch its a big gain.

You can get your flywheel skimmed for around £50, have them take off as much as is safe, the lighter you go the more response you will get both under acceleration and deceleration. Im not an engineer but you dont want one destroying itself so make sure its done by a reputable engineering firm. You can get an Exedy clutch kit for around £70, stock replacement but made of better materials. Poly engine mounts transfer power to your wheels, far better than stock. Carb or throttle bodies, exhaust manifold/system, lightweight 13"s, better suspension, all these add up to better power and handling. End of the day its what you wanna spend, if you spent around £500 you would see some big changes but you would really have to shop around and get some good deals on new/secondhand parts, but at the end of the day its still a small engined car and when you think a 1.0 super turbo takes over 7 seconds to get to 60mph its never going to be fast. They are nippy at best, unless your on a housing estate, city centre or tight country lanes its going to show lack of power, even against a standard ford focus say. I love Micras, they're good little cars but its a waste of time spending thousands on aftermarket parts when in the real world its gonna have trouble keeping up with a standard pulsar or similar for a fraction of the cost and none of the hassle. A good 2.0 4wd is good in any weather/conditions, something that is fwd with power only being fed to one wheel is not winning any race in the wet or on loose surface. Its all about speed and handling for me which is why i'll always opt for a Pulsar, for the price you can't really find a faster car, its finding a decent one thats the challenge. Hope this helps ;)