How to get top mount nut off from suspension strut?!

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
Tried using adjustable spanner and 6mm spanner to stop the shock rod rotating but no use, my dads trying to find mole grips but i dont see them working either. Any more ideas? Please help!

i had to use molegrips on one of mine (only at the very top of the shaft tho, underneath the bumpstop, else you,ll damage the chrome finish on the "working part" of the shock)
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,296
loosen and remove the nut while the cars standing on its wheels (cars weight keeps spring compressed and unloads the shock shaft & nut from the top cap)
by sprayin wd40 at nut, leave for abit to soak, grip the nut with a swan neck O-spanner while holding the shock shaft still with an adjustable spanner or tight fitting C-spanner, gently and progressively loosen the nut without rounding off the flat sided shock shaft end.

when you jack the car up the strut and coilspring will progressively extend fully until they seperate from the top cap (cos the end nut is removed). then unbolt the top cap from the chassis.

i prefer to retap/clean the shocks thread end to make assembly & future removal easier.

upon assembly, refit spring & bumpstop, compress spring, fit topcap, fit nut, remove compressor, fit onto car, lower car down onto wheels, recheck nut tightness

stilsons will hold it better than mole grips but they work by cutting there teeth into the metal, i use these all the time at work for tightening gas riser pipes, ive also undone everything that a socket set slips on

stilsons = win:p

Or just pop by a local garage that's preferably quite close and get them to use their airgun and loosen them up a bit that's what I ended up doing as I didn't have a swan neck spanner

Yeah think im just gonna do that alex, hopefully somewhere near me does it for free (or ay least very cheap) because trying to do it in the rain earlier with my mate and my dad was not working at all. The backs were so easy i just knew the fronts wouldnt be :(

if you dont need the shocks anymore. cut the shaft. grind it square so you can put it into vise and just loose it. thats how we did it on k10.

Went to the garage today, cost a fiver for them to whizz the nut off and on for me. Well chuffed now and im gonna post some pics up in a blog! Cheers everyone

Back