How to fit a new H4 lamp into your headlight / Headlight bulb changing

This guy makes it look so easy but, it is far from easy, Major respect to these guys!

My hands are too big to do this job with the headlights in place...... no way (on planet Earth) can I do this. I always have to physically remove the entire headlight (a right pain in the arse to replace the main H4 lamp. This guy makes it looks so easy, massive respect to him! Maybe my hands are too big?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I tried to change bulb, same thing I couldn't change it without removing the whole light.
My service mechanic heightis 2 meters, with hand like shovel blades.
He can change Micra bulb in less than two minutes.
It's not the size, it's how you use it...;)

OP
OP
umagumma
I tried to change bulb, same thing I couldn't change it without removing the whole light.
My service mechanic heightis 2 meters, with hand like shovel blades.
He can change Micra bulb in less than two minutes.
It's not the size, it's how you use it...;)
Are you saying that I don't know how to use my big hands Mika? I have been using my bigger than average tool in tight spaces for many years and have had no complaints (to date) it has served me well ;)

I seldom pay a mechanic to work on my car (unless it's something I can't do / ie: lift the car up on my head and work on it from underneath) I would love to have my own ramp.

Changing a headlight H4 lamp should be simple and you shouldn't have to take your car to a mechanic....... What if the lights went out in the middle of nowhere? It should be a "simple" task to swap out an H4 lamp, as simple as replacing a blown light bulb in your home.

Remember, the lamp I am talking about, is potentially travelling at 70 miles per hour on a dark road with 4 passengers on board a car that weighs nigh on a ton...... I think these lamps should be "simple" to replace and not require a mechanic with nimble fingers or a YouTube tutorial to get the job done.

I, like you, realise what a bitch of a job it is if we don't know what we are doing BUT in a world where all they talk about is " health and safety" you would think that making it easy too see where you are going whilst driving a ton of steel along a road is ALWAYS "safe" and always "EASY" to swap out a blown H4 lamp.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
... I seldom pay a mechanic to work on my car (unless it's something I can't do / ie: lift the car up on my head and work on it from underneath) I would love to have my own ramp...
I didn't pay mechanic for bulb change, bulbs were changed by him years ago, free of charge, during the Micra service.
I was amazed how fast/easy it was for him, like I wrote, I had to remove headlight to do it...

OP
OP
umagumma
It appears I don't have any private messages Mika? I think this forum is a bit "glitchy" (remember when my sports exhaust thread disappeared?) it's either something glitchy with the forum software or something at my end OR I have maybe pissed somebody off who runs this place?

I don't know. rock (dot) grotto (at) gmail (dot) com

All the best.

Mike.

Just changed an H4 headlight bulb on third attempt. As usual once you have done one, the next time will be easy. The main problem is removing the black socket from the rear of the light bulb before you remove the rubber gasket. The manual implies you should squeeze and pull backwards. I was assuming there were some tabs which need depressing to get it to release. There are not. It really is just a case of pulling it back firmly and the bulbs tabs just slot in/out. I found mine were really solid - three people all tried in vain. I had a closer look at the socket on line and once I realised there were no tabs to depress and no wiring to damage on the sides I used a plumbers wrench to grab the socket rear - couple of wiggles and back-pull and off it popped. Easy peasey - Why has no one mentioned this before? Please tell everyone - shout it from the mountains - no copyright. Im gonna mention this on all those youtube vids I watched earlier. No need to take to garage / remove whole light ( which can be done without removing bumper if you take lower grill off and can slide a small ratchet to the hidden third bolt behind - yes fiddly)
Yes I am enjoying my cup of tea and biscuit victory moment.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
... I used a plumbers wrench to grab the socket rear - couple of wiggles and back-pull and off it popped...
With my bulbs, the big handed mechanic used gently a small crowbar type tool which has a screwdriver handle.
to remove the lamp socket. I guess it's called 'nail puller'?! :unsure:
I watched him doing the bulb change carefully, to be able to do it myself next time! ;)

s-l1600.jpg