How to change waterpump & powersteering belt?

Hi Guys im new to the forum.

I have a 2000 Nissan Micra 1.0 16V GX and the belts need changing. I've removed the alternator belt, but for some reason the waterpump/powersteering belt doesn't seem to have a tensioner. In the Haynes it says it does. I've looked and its not there, 110%. Therefore i was wondering how do i get the old belt off and how does it tension up afterwards?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
un do the 15 or 17mm nut on the frount of the pulley then theres a 10mm on the mount towards the bulkhead undo this an it will loosen the belt

frank

Club Member

Attachments

• PICT0293.JPG
    PICT0293.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 10,169
OP
OP
J
Thanks for the replies, but as i originally stated my Micra does not have the tensioner as shown in the picture above, it doesn't exist on my engine. The only pulleys are...

Alternator Belt
--------------

-crank pully
-alternator pulley

Power Steering / Waterpump Belt
--------------------------------

-crank pulley
-power steering pully
-water pump pully

Thats all. No tensioners, no idler pulleys etc.

Does anyone know how to remove this belt on cars fitted with no tensioner?

pollyp

Club Member
urs should have the tensioner like on the top of that pic cos i've got PAS and the tensioner is between the PAS pump and the crank pulley. how else would the belt be tensioned otherwise it'll be slipping like mad.

unless someone's been working on that engine before and removed the original tensioner before installing a shorter belt, which seems really odd. in that case u could remove the upper bolt of the PAS pump, loosen the lower PAS pump bolt, swing the pump forward to slacken the belt, swap belts, push the pump back then reinstall and tighten the bolts up.

OP
OP
J
Pollyp you engine is a 1.3 and there may be differences to the 1.0 16V?

Well i managed to fit the belt, wasn't easy. I should of taken pictures to prove to you that there was no tensioner. I have owned the car from near new with approx 7500miles on it when i got it. It has the original belts from new. Nobody has worked on the car or removed the tensioner.

I ordered the same belts for the car and they all fit the same, so that rules out anyone fitting a shorter belt and removing the tensioner. The belts have never slipped in the all the years I've owned her, so the end conclusion is that the belt is just tensioned on its own via the water pump, pas pump and crank.

I fitted the belt with great difficulty by undoing all the bolts holding the pas pump on, 4 in total. This made the pas pump basically move around. Kept all the lines connected. Removed belt, refitted belt and on my own i partially bolted the top bolts on the pas pump (took ages as there is room for only skinny long double jointed fingers) and prised the pump over from the bottom so that the lower bolts lined up. Tightened it all up and it runs fine and tensioned correctly. To fit this belt it took me approx 4-5 hours. Stupid design, wish it had a tensioner like you guys have said and the haynes manual.

The alternator belt took 5 mins to refit and tension.

I was wondering does a part catalogue exist for NIssan, so i can double check my cars VIN to see why it doesn't have a tensioner as standard?

pollyp

Club Member
ah forgot to notice ur's a 1L. cheers for clearin that up

aye thats silly of em not to included tensioners on the 1L, prob cost cutting?

what if, come next service, the tensioner i mentioned could be fitted to the 1L block and fit a longer 1.3L belt? though i suppose the 1L block maybe different and not have the bolt holes for it.

I am thinking of changing both belts as Joske. My car is a 2001 (51 reg). I am pretty I will be confronted with the same problem as Joske.

Has anybody managed to do it differently to Joske?

Hey Starfield, I've had this issue with the 2001 1.0L. The tensioner is part of the powersteering pump mount (not mentioned in the Haynes). It's a ###### to get to but can be done! Iirc you can loosen the mount bolts (one to the inlet manifold and one to the waterpump i think) from above and access the tensioner bolt (blind!) from underneath. Hope that is some help.

Further to the above, the powersteering pump pivots on a through bolt at the base, accessible only from underneath, that will need loosened before you can loosen/tension the belt.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
water pump puly bolts off
puly wheel off
belt off
new belt on
puly wheel back on taking the belt tension up and bolt holes in line, bolt up
done on my k11 lx 1.o k plate,may difer

I just replaced the PAS and waterpump belt on my 1999 1.3L Micra Inspiration.
I confirm that there is only ONE tensioner with wheel, which is for the alternator belt.

In order to remove the PAS belt i did the following:
-Remove the alternator belt with the engine mounting removed and engine supported
-I removed the alternator tensioner (to clean it), three 12mm bolts
-Removed two bolts holding the PAS pump and one on the block
-There is a PAS tensioner bolt on a bracket above the PAS pump
When PAS pump is loose the belt should come off.

From the top of the engine remove the air filter housing and cover the top of the carb with a plastic lunch bag. (Remove lunch first).
You need access to push your hand down the back of the engine.
From the picture the 12mm spanner is on the tensioner. Remove the 10mm brake pipe bracket first and push to one side.
Loosen the tensioner and the securing bracket bolt from the picture. Use a brush handle to push down the belt. It should move 3 to 4 inches. You may have to loosen the tensioner further. Cut the old belt with a hacksaw blade. Blade only.
Slip on the new belt to the crankshaft pulley and over the back pulley and top pulley as much as possible. With the keys out and the car in fifth gear push the car backwards and the belt will slip over the pullies very easily. Really really easily.
Tighten the tensioner until there is 1/8 of an inch movement using the brush handle. Tighten the bracket, replace the brake pipe bracket and air filter.
Overall not to bad a job. Will take an hour.
A 12mm rachet spanner is better than a socket or ring spanner.

Attachments

• SAM_0713.JPG
    SAM_0713.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 3,034
Ok, I have an M redg Micra looking like I might need a new waterpump, my car does not have powersteering, it looks like to drive the waterpump I just have the pump pulley idler pulley and the pulley on the engine.
I think its the pump as I get a rough sounding noise at idle, not mega loud but its there, could it be the idler pulley ? how hard is the waterpump to change, access looks good.
Thanks

MicraPRO

Part Of The Furniture
Ok, I have an M redg Micra looking like I might need a new waterpump, my car does not have powersteering, it looks like to drive the waterpump I just have the pump pulley idler pulley and the pulley on the engine.
I think its the pump as I get a rough sounding noise at idle, not mega loud but its there, could it be the idler pulley ? how hard is the waterpump to change, access looks good.
Thanks
Access is an arse but guess that depends on size of hands.
Drain coolant.
Slacken belt by pulling alternator forwards or as said above remove the waterpump pully bolts (can be a bugger)
Plain sailing after that think its 7 10mm bolts :)
Good luck!