How to change stereo on a Nissan Micra K12 - With Pics!

M

micraman

After searching the net I still haven't been able to find a decent tutorial or "how to" guide for removing the stereo head unit from a K12 to put a better one in... So I followed some rough instructions and took some photos along the way to hopefully help someone else! Hope it comes in handy folks....

What you need:

Stubby flat head screwdriver.
Long flat head screwdriver.
Philips screwdriver (+).
Socket set. (Think it was 10mm).

How to remove a K12 Nissan Micra* Stereo:

* - The Micra I worked on was a 1 Litre "E" model. Other models may vary slightly, like the K12 with digital display but should be along the very same lines maybe with different bolt/screw locations.

Step 1-

Locate the rubber door trim nearest the dashboard and remove it by starting with the stub screwdriver and then pulling with your hands. It will come off easy and dont worry, it goes back on just like new (Fig A)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010380
(Fig A) - Showing the part of the trim you need to remove.

As you can see, only the trim that is touching the plastic pillar above the dash and below the roof needs removing. If you are unsure what a pillar is, see Fig B.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010154
(Fig B) - Picture of one of the pillars.

Step 2-

Now insert your stub screwdriver into the gap the rubber has revealed at the bottom of the plastic pillar and lever the pillar off from bottom to top. The pillars are only clipped in and will come off easy once you have started. See fig C.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010174
(Fig C) - Showing the removed pillar on the right hand door.

Once both pillars have been removed you can start on the top of the dash.

Step 3-

Now you need to remove the top of the dash. I've read somewhere that on some models of the K12 you need to remove the plastic cover, which is located at the left hand, front side of the dash and remove a fitting there. On my girlfriends car there was nothing to remove under this cover but it did come in handy for sliding off the dash.

Start with your stub driver at the right or left side and push it into the line between the top of the dash and the front of the dash. Prise upwards and the clips will pop out one by one as you work your way along. The dash is only clipped in at the front edge so once you have gone the full length of the dash it will come forward. (Fig D & E).

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18009941
(Fig D) - Showing the right hand side of the dash removed.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18009920
(Fig E) - The left hand side dash removed.

Ease the dashboard top towards you. You may have to wiggle it slightly but it will come out easily with a bit of light pulling. The nuts holding the front console in will then be revealed. See Fig F & G.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18009892
(Fig F) - Showing the dash top removed.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010394
(Fig G) - The three bolts that hold the front facia in.

Step 4-

As you can see in Fig G above, the three bolts are located in the centre of the dash above the facia where the radio and face vents are. Remove these three bolts carefully with a 10mm Socket as they could easily fall into the dash below.

Once you have done this a small bracket will come loose. Remove it and put it to one side. The bracket can be seen in Fig H below.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010040
(Fig H) - The bracket from the centre of the dash. Please ignore the fact the radio is removed, this is described below!

Next, open up your storage box which is above the head unit and remove the two covers at either side revealing some posi screws. Unscrew these and put them aside. (Fig I)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010363
(Fig I) - The right hand cover has been removed showing the screw in this photo. They are at the top right/left of the storage box.

Next you need to remove two more screws. These are located under where the hazard light switch is, as shown below in Fig J.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010103
(Fig J) - This is a photo shot upwards under the ashtray area showing one of the two screws on the bottom lip that need removing.

Once you have these screws removed, the whole section of facia with the head unit and vents can be removed by sliding it frontwards. You will need to unclip the wires going into the stereo at the left hand side with a flathead screwdriver and also unplug the aerial lead at the right hand side. (Fig K)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010216
(Fig K) - The facia section with the head unit inside.

Step 5-

You now need to remove the vents off of the facia section to gain access to the four screws holding the Micra head unit in place.

This takes some careful screwdriver placement and prising. On the side of each vent you will see two outward facing clips. Place your long flat head screwdriver into the bottom clip and prise outwards whilst pulling the vent towards you. They should come off with a click sound. This is the third inward facing clip being released. Do this carefully as not to break any of the plastic clips.

The photo below in Fig L shows the vents removed.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010322
(Fig L) - Showing a vent removed from the facia section.

The 4 screws (2 on each side) will now be showing. Unscrew these and the radio will slide out towards the front. The screws on one side are shown below in Fig M.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010303
(Fig M) - The screws of one side of the facia that retain the head unit.

Finally! Everything is removed and ready for your brand new ICE! (Fig N)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010265
(Fig N) - The head unit is now ready for E-bay, lol.

Step 6-

You now need to fit your new stereo in place of the old one and connect up all the wires. Just follow the above instructions in reverse. (Fig O & P).

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010067
(Fig O) - The new wire loom fitted in the dash ready for the new head unit.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010136
(Fig P) - The new head unit in place and the vents replaced.

Now just reverse this whole process to put your Micra back to its former glory complete with new stereo!

Hope you found this tutorial useful, and any comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Dave.

OP
OP
M

micraman

Sorry, forgot to give public links! :-S

Here is the new link for the pictures above, hope you can figure out which bit goes with which picture, and sorry for the lack of photos before!!! Click Here

F

FabioMicraK12

RE: Sorry, forgot to give public links! :-S

micraman said:
Here is the new link for the pictures above, hope you can figure out which bit goes with which picture, and sorry for the lack of photos before!!! Click Here

Thank you very much, oh..the job it's not easy :suspect:fwn:eek:

L

littlemisspvc

Jeez, I am pleased I have got a K11. I just changed the CD player last week and it was so easy. All I needed was a Phillips driver - removed four screws, pulled out the middle plastic thingy (very technical I know), remove the old stereo, insert the new, replace plastic and screws! Took about 15 minutes!

OP
OP
M

micraman

Lucky you! At least it prevents theft, it'd be quicker to nick the car than the stereo! lol :laugh:

F

FabioMicraK12

RE: RE: How to change stereo on a Nissan Micra K12 - With Pics!

micraman said:
Lucky you! At least it prevents theft, it'd be quicker to nick the car than the stereo! lol :laugh:

LOL! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
M

micraman

Oh, btw FabioMicraK12 - The alloys are only 15", they came off my old Fiat Punto! They must just look bigger in the photos! :p

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
micraman said:
After searching the net I still haven't been able to find a decent tutorial or "how to" guide for removing the stereo head unit from a K12 to put a better one in

Hope you found this tutorial useful, and any comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Dave.

Did you look here?

I might not have put pictures in but if I did I would have made it so you could see them!

Good effort tho!

OP
OP
M

micraman

Hmmm no I didn't look there, but it didn't come up on the master of web searching, Google fwn Nevermind, such is life!

A

ayresy

Does anyone know how to remove the door panel to allow me to change the front and back speakers on a k12 micra?

L

Lazyass

Hello!

Sorry for my english I'm from Slovenia :)

Is there some difrent way to remove original radio or can they on service for nissan remove my original radio and put in a new radio , in my case this is Pioneer DEH7700mp ? Thank you for ansver :)

By

OP
OP
M

micraman

Right, this is my 2nd attempt at posting the pictures along with this tutorial, so fingers crossed it won't just be a load of red crosses :-S....

What you need:

Philips screwdriver (+).

* - The Micra I worked on was a 1 Litre "E" model. Other models may vary slightly, like the K12 with digital display but should be along the very same lines maybe with different bolt/screw locations.

Step 1-

Locate the rubber door trim nearest the dashboard and remove it by starting with the stub screwdriver and then pulling with your hands. It will come off easy and dont worry, it goes back on just like new (Fig A)

4466276892f23e45545fcaaf236cd6482cc539a9505ed93c17bc6a50.jpg

As you can see, only the trim that is touching the plastic pillar above the dash and below the roof needs removing. If you are unsure what a pillar is, see Fig B.

72291724c5ed114e4ce9acce0574714c979a41e1983bcbb21cd9adc1.jpg

Step 2-

Now insert your stub screwdriver into the gap the rubber has revealed at the bottom of the plastic pillar and lever the pillar off from bottom to top. The pillars are only clipped in and will come off easy once you have started. See fig C.

803593121452f4ae21477e923a148a0108a832067ffd108cb77060b7.jpg

Step 3-

Now you need to remove the top of the dash. I've read somewhere that on some models of the K12 you need to remove the plastic cover, which is located at the left hand, front side of the dash and remove a fitting there. On my girlfriends car there was nothing to remove under this cover but it did come in handy for sliding off the dash.

Start with your stub driver at the right or left side and push it into the line between the top of the dash and the front of the dash. Prise upwards and the clips will pop out one by one as you work your way along. The dash is only clipped in at the front edge so once you have gone the full length of the dash it will come forward. (Fig D & E).

49184733d991fca4eb88fbff59c3224f3f72eeb0f5085ffbfccaf248.jpg

167299992a0088bc37dd45bbbf81959fe69366a3fda09595e3672122.jpg

Ease the dashboard top towards you. You may have to wiggle it slightly but it will come out easily with a bit of light pulling. The nuts holding the front console in will then be revealed. See Fig F & G.

64924751e99d818b2c8938ea46d4f4c9065c21a0113277e0b2042191.jpg

41117767cbc65de12c58d2065a3518cb11090626ebc4896bdb556c09.jpg

Step 4-

As you can see in Fig G above, the three bolts are located in the centre of the dash above the facia where the radio and face vents are. Remove these three bolts carefully with a 10mm Socket as they could easily fall into the dash below.

Once you have done this a small bracket will come loose. Remove it and put it to one side. The bracket can be seen in Fig H below.

902737334071b4695406f3d7fa3af261d8d653506f4d0bed2eb28734.jpg

(Fig H) - The bracket from the centre of the dash. Please ignore the fact the radio is removed, this is described below!

Next, open up your storage box which is above the head unit and remove the two covers at either side revealing some posi screws. Unscrew these and put them aside. (Fig I)

81534034819e25b54786c6bf640d81ca17abec8987ff7515ca6d25a2.jpg

(Fig I) - The right hand cover has been removed showing the screw in this photo. They are at the top right/left of the storage box.

Next you need to remove two more screws. These are located under where the hazard light switch is, as shown below in Fig J.

8293859133ee51e0623a97f2c924e49d71f232aeb79b73b7d0aef2fe.jpg

(Fig J) - This is a photo shot upwards under the ashtray area showing one of the two screws on the bottom lip that need removing.

Once you have these screws removed, the whole section of facia with the head unit and vents can be removed by sliding it frontwards. You will need to unclip the wires going into the stereo at the left hand side with a flathead screwdriver and also unplug the aerial lead at the right hand side. (Fig K)

995701485f1620788aac31608f1f2fe7d7135ea039295185f7b2a502.jpg

(Fig K) - The facia section with a head unit inside - yours may differ from the picture.

Step 5-

You now need to remove the vents off of the facia section to gain access to the four screws holding the Micra head unit in place.

This takes some careful screwdriver placement and prising. On the side of each vent you will see two outward facing clips. Place your long flat head screwdriver into the bottom clip and prise outwards whilst pulling the vent towards you. They should come off with a click sound. This is the third inward facing clip being released. Do this carefully as not to break any of the plastic clips.

60812220032bdfcee1b7ec59ee29825adcfb1979a2809afa9d19b193.jpg

The 4 screws (2 on each side) will now be showing. Unscrew these and the radio will slide out towards the front. The screws on one side are shown below in Fig M.

9321738618f454403d17a836dcb6241a7f0e9c6402366190d3d40f96.jpg

621042575493eafe08483d182cd30db25ad103707566604b36285194.jpg

Step 6-

You now need to fit your new stereo in place of the old one and connect up all the wires. Just follow the above instructions in reverse. (Fig O & P).

28166776fab3f89a8974284d94a635ccf1425b436bb0885097bd9f28.jpg

2609021287eb5c246cd1963015128d144c84555096c12511853f6545.jpg

Now just reverse this whole process to put your Micra back to its former glory complete with new stereo!

Dave.

M

Manni

Hi,

I thought I'd post in here just to say a quick thanks to micraman, as using his guide helped me change the headunit in my micra. If anyone is put off changing the headunit in their K12 because it seems difficult, don't be, it is time consuming, but it's not difficult to do. Anyway, I took some pics on my phone while I was installing the headunit, so here they are;

Before:
30824090d293197f47d7068b735300bfa8ca9876431ef96e832f3ba2.jpg

During:
04046584e9d6cfa795778c7b2b3effaeeef1ed3e4e1a708ba3ba0ad1.jpg

After:
124725691041bc0aa1a4a4fda155cf03a86cb88c84fb5722bab6d6a7.jpg

Thanks again,

Manni

T

TheDaddy

littlemisspvc said:
Jeez, I am pleased I have got a K11. I just changed the CD player last week and it was so easy. All I needed was a Phillips driver - removed four screws, pulled out the middle plastic thingy (very technical I know), remove the old stereo, insert the new, replace plastic and screws! Took about 15 minutes!

I have not looked into doing this yet. Do you have any pics as I want to change my HU from the Nissan Blaupunkt tape player to my Sony CD player. Also, would I need any additional leads?

TIA :)

T

thefab

Many many thanks !!!

Many many thanks to micraman !!! It was a worderfull "howto". Without it, I wouldn't have succeeded !!!

Thanks ! Thanks ! Thanks !

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
this is a bit bad but would anyone like to install my headunit for a bit of dosh? someone within the birmingham area perhaps.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
right i just attempted this long ass mission, everything went smoothly until i saw the top 3 screws holding the centre console together. its different from the ones you have. basically the ones in mine do not have a cross in the screw so the + screwdriver cannot get in (hope this make sense o_O ).

tried using a small spanner but there just aint enough room to get in there to turn the bloody screw out and its been screwed in hard! :doh:

any other way in solving this like removing the front part of the dash or any special tool? :wow:

i was so close yet so far!

D

Deleted User

Hi.

Has anyone got the pictures of the step by step guide by any chance please? or knows of a link where I can find assistance on changing over my head unit?

Thank you, Jamie,

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Hi.

Has anyone got the pictures of the step by step guide by any chance please? or knows of a link where I can find assistance on changing over my head unit?

Thank you, Jamie,

jamie it really is very simple, just follow the guide and you will accomplish it even without pictures.

S

squid

could anyone repost the pics for me? or e-mail them to [email protected]? The problem is that I'm not English and its difficult to visualise it in my mind with only text.

thanx!!

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
i doubt the starter of this post will post the pics again, i can only suggest you guys to give it a shot with the description only if not get an english friend to help out or something.

it really is very simple!

K12 Stereo Removal

OK, I'm really not very technical minded, and I've read through this guide a couple of times and am really put off!

Does anyone know if this is the kind of thing a Nissan Dealership can do?

One of my concerns is that I've got the trip computer thing in my car as well as it's the SE trim, and I don't want to mess that up.

Alternatively I was thinking of getting the Nissan K12 DVD player, if anyone is able to confirm that it's able to play MP3's?

Cheers

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
OK, I'm really not very technical minded, and I've read through this guide a couple of times and am really put off!

Does anyone know if this is the kind of thing a Nissan Dealership can do?

One of my concerns is that I've got the trip computer thing in my car as well as it's the SE trim, and I don't want to mess that up.

Alternatively I was thinking of getting the Nissan K12 DVD player, if anyone is able to confirm that it's able to play MP3's?

Cheers

mate i think you are under-estimating yourself, i am no technical guy either. i
had troubles putting on my new alloys thats how bad i am! lol

My k12 being a SX also has a trip computer, so you're not the only one; it will not mess it up!

i did it without any problems, nothing hard just a little awkward at times but you'll get through it. wait for a sunny day and get your screwdriver out, print this instructions, sit in the car and do your thing!

i think there is a genuine nissan DVD player for sale on ebay at the moment, search for it and i think the listing will mention it.

oh and i think the dealer will happily do it for you at £90 per hour labour!

can you e mail me the pictures if that is possible as i cannot see them and i need them to do it. can you send them to [email protected] thank you for the instructions as they seem clear but the pictures will help aid the instruction ta very much ly

Thanks so much

For anyone interested I tried this today and it was spot on. Even without the pics i managed to do it much easier than it sounds (and im a girl lol)
Thanks again
Stacie

Hi,
I've just taken out the stereo on my wife's K12 and repaired it, by following micraman's excellent guide. The three screws/bolts securing the front fascia unit were different on mine & I needed a PH3 screwdriver bit to move my bolts as were in extremely tight. It would help if you had a magnetised bit to avoid the screws dropping off after removal and disappearing. I would say this job is pretty simple really but you do need the time ..I'd say at least an hour. I reckon a dealer would charge at least £200 to do this job which cost me only an hour of my time & triple bonus points with the missus who hasn't had a stereo for the past month. Thanks Micra Man!!!(Y) (Y)

Thanks for this, I went to remove the stereo and put a new one in lask week and quickly realised I had no idea what to do. Quick good and found your post.

This took me just over an hour, but I did spend about 20 minutes taking off the bottom cup holder part to retrieve a bolt I dropped :doh: But I got it and it all went well.

Thanks again

I attempted to change my head unit today so decided to take some pics while doing it.

I won't bother with text as the OP is spot on for description

micra-01.jpg

micra-02.jpg

micra-03.jpg

micra-04.jpg

micra-05.jpg

micra-06.jpg

micra-07.jpg

micra-08.jpg

micra-09.jpg

micra-10.jpg

Only problem is that the facelifted models with new head unit in don't have ISO connectors and no one appears to make an adaptor yet :down:

Hi, I'm looking to replace my stock K12 CD Player in my SX. Can anyone tell me if they still have the pictures for this, I'm a complete newbie to this stuff and I'm sure I'll screw it up.

Can you also tell me if there are any good players out there with an aux port that will retain the functionality on the steering wheel?

Cheers!

Don't be put off! It's easy.

1. Pull off the door rubber on the drivers side.

2. Pull off the pillar trim. easily pulls away.

3. Put a wide blade screwdriver under the overdash cover. Twist and the cover will lift.

4. This gives you access to the 10mm bolt that holds the radio/dash assembly box in. Undo and remove this bolt.

5. Remove the 2 phillips screws from below the radio/dash assembly.

6. Remove 2 plastic covers and then 2 phillips screws from inside the little storage compartment above the radio.

7. The whole lot will then pull out. Might have to twist it slightly.

8. Replacement is a reversal of the above. Easy!

I thought this wa seasy until it came to taking the thing out.
I got all the screws, started to pull it out and it was jammed, so i tried to twist it loose and it got caught on more things, more jammed.
It's now half out and can't be put back in, or taken out.. This is really stressing me out
><

I've done it!! - Fitted an aftermarket stereo on a 52 plate K12!

Don't be put off! It's easy.

1. Pull off the door rubber on the drivers side.

2. Pull off the pillar trim. easily pulls away.

3. Put a wide blade screwdriver under the overdash cover. Twist and the cover will lift.

4. This gives you access to the 10mm bolt that holds the radio/dash assembly box in. Undo and remove this bolt.

5. Remove the 2 phillips screws from below the radio/dash assembly.

6. Remove 2 plastic covers and then 2 phillips screws from inside the little storage compartment above the radio.

7. The whole lot will then pull out. Might have to twist it slightly.

8. Replacement is a reversal of the above. Easy!

It's as simple as above! No one tells you what a bloody piller is tho... its just a plastic cover by the driver's door - the one to the right of your windscreen! And the door rubber is the rubber black strip surrounding the window. Shimples!

And for the people out there desperately looking for the most useful part of this entire thread.....

HERE'S A LINK TO SOME PICS - WHOO HOOOO!

http://rapidshare.com/files/374673629/Micra_Pics.zip

On a serious note, thanks Micraman and scatman for the very helpful instructions. :) :)

Video showing on youtube

After searching the net I still haven't been able to find a decent tutorial or "how to" guide for removing the stereo head unit from a K12 to put a better one in... So I followed some rough instructions and took some photos along the way to hopefully help someone else! Hope it comes in handy folks....

What you need:

Philips screwdriver (+).

Step 1-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010380

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010154

Step 2-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010174

Step 3-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18009941

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18009920

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18009892

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010394

Step 4-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010040

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010363

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010103

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010216
(Fig K) - The facia section with the head unit inside.

Step 5-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010322

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010303

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010265

Step 6-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010067

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=18010136

Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2E8z-Ma0I

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cL2E8z-Ma0I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>