How should I rust prevent and also get an appealing engine bay?

Hi,

After the bumper, now the engine is removed:

003-k11-engineremoval7.jpg

Still in good shape after 19 years. Hardly any rust.

But now I need to degrease everything and that is step 1, when I go to ''Halfords'' I am afraid when I ask for a good degreaser, the guys go huu? And for real, the city I live in doesn't have ''good'' shops.

So, somebody told me to use thinner and a paintbrush, what seems like a good idea.

But I would like to discuss what is the best method for the appeal.

I'm doubting how to do it, if I use Hammerrite on the whole engine bay, it won't be AG2 red and it will be visible I used a paintbrush, like if I only go with the rust preventing.

Also I'm a n00b in spraycan products and what follows after what.

Please give me advice how to do it. (Y)

For the likes of the front crossmember and front panel just use hammerite and a brush, thats the most important part to protect and also will be hidden behind the bumper.

And for the bay, You can get degreaser off Ebay. Or any good paintshop should have it. Once you've degreased the bay, give it a run over with sandpaper then spray with whatever colour. Spraying isnt that hard really, just hold the can a short distance away and spray in light layers. That the best way I would describe it but others may have other opinions.

Good advice. :blues:

The point is I have too often seen spraypaint come loose and when I ask the ''Halfords'' people they keep telling they aren't able to give such advice.

And I know a good paintshop, will go from there.

If you give the surface a good 'key' with some sandpaper then the paint should stick to the surface fine and not come loose.

I asked for degreaser and they offered me this:

M600.jpg

Also I learned the brake fluid that we had to catch works pretty well on a dirty engine bay and brake fluid eats paint. :)

Cheaper? Oven cleaner costs a fortune! It also has caustic soda in it which eats aluminium if your not careful, and headgaskets!

surprise, I'm not going for the cheaper on degreasing the engine bay while I usually really do my best to cheapskate all along baby (bc I believe it is the only way to not receive 'other ones' crap)

But hey, that Motip stuff just sucks, now I have to try my other options to find out how hard.

*scanning private comparison database*

NONE FOUND
blink blink blink

go to B and Q and get some parrafin. slosh it all over the engine bay with a stiff brush... leave it for a few hours, then go back over the top with white spirit or denatured alcohol. Et Vwalah! clean engine bay.
then for the rusty bits, get some Genolite rust restorer and slosh it all over the tin worm.
wait for an hour. and paint over the top with your favorite colour..... i find pastel pink a nice shade actually..:suspect:

Back