How much paint required for rear bumper?

Depends on the paint and how many layers you need to do.

At the factory they do something insane like 2 coats of primer, 5 coats of paint and 3 coats of clearcoat.... or maybe that's how thick the layers are once it's dry and it's less coats than that I have no idea.

What I do know is that there's videos on youtube of people painting cars with rattle cans and they usually underestimate how many is needed and have to buy more. You could estimate it from this one:

OP
OP
benji_
Depends on the paint and how many layers you need to do.

At the factory they do something insane like 2 coats of primer, 5 coats of paint and 3 coats of clearcoat.... or maybe that's how thick the layers are once it's dry and it's less coats than that I have no idea.

What I do know is that there's videos on youtube of people painting cars with rattle cans and they usually underestimate how many is needed and have to buy more. You could estimate it from this one:

how many 150ml cans would you recommend for 2 layers of primer, 5 layers of paint and 3 layers of clearcoat?

how many 150ml cans would you recommend for 2 layers of primer, 5 layers of paint and 3 layers of clearcoat?
based on what I saw in that video, if I was a gambling man I'd say you need about 500-800ml of decent-branded paint for enough coats of paint that you can't see the old stuff through it

maaaybe 200-300ml of primer? some sand paper to rough up the old paint and some masking tape and newspaper

no idea about clearcoat

also 150ml cans are small if you're looking to buy online, a coke can is 330ml, a can of lynx is probably about the size you'll get if you order 150ml

OP
OP
benji_
also 150ml cans are small if you're looking to buy online, a coke can is 330ml
yeah it is, i feel stupid now considering ive got a dr pepper next to me ?

based on what I saw in that video, if I was a gambling man I'd say you need about 500-800ml of decent-branded paint for enough coats of paint that you can't see the old stuff through it

maaaybe 200-300ml of primer? some sand paper to rough up the old paint and some masking tape and newspaper

no idea about clearcoat
alright, ill keep looking for bigger cans

OP
OP
benji_
the ones in the video were 400ml and a brand called Kobra, he said they were a £3 or 4 pounds per can but that was a while ago so probably gone up like Freddos lol
just had a look its £4.25 for a 600ml can but ive no idea what the paint codes are, its literally called "big red"

just had a look its £4.25 for a 600ml can but ive no idea what the paint codes are, its literally called "big red"
oh sh.it yeah you're gonna want one that matches if you're just doing a bumper

See if you can find this sticker/plate:

GXcSHGP.png

VHt5yUK.jpg

then type it in here http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Nissan&code=CG2&con=m

Last edited:
Hey I wanted to share this link with you for paint there isn't code specific paint here but the prices are decent.
Btw go for the 400ml tins.
As the small ones I have gotten seemed to be half empty or they didn't have the amount I thought should have in them
This may be useful for Primer coat and clear coat.
The red primer can be used as a mat finish also.
From what I got there is or was 151 grey primer that was a good product in 250ml tins I would use this again.
The gun metal grey tins I have some still left over not sure the name but I think they are poor quality. (after looking around I found that these are same as the pound shop ones)
The top coat or clear coat I think was auto extreme 400ml it seemed to be good quality.

Lastly if you want the clear to last you should consider the 2K that lasts longer.

https://www.sprayster.com/product/colour-it-red-primer-spray-paint-matt-400ml/

Last edited: