How do you replace the thermostat?

Hi All,

I've just tested the temperature gauge on my K11 because I read about it on a internet to find out how badly the H/Gasket could be damaged buy testing how quickly it would be to overheats if it the gauge needle goes into the red in 10 minutes then the damage is to greater. So I turn the engine on and let it warmed up and the gauge set itself at the half way marker them I ran it for another half an hour with no change, so I believe that the H/G problem can be fixed by the H/gasket sealant steel seal. But first I have to replace the thermostat which I believe is the main cause of the problems in the first place as it kept itself closed and then the engine overheated as no water got inside. I’m little scared that I will break something if I try this myself, what I really need is someone to tell me if I’m doing it right and would step in if it goes pear shaped any ideas ? I’m in Croydon, London area.

Yours Yeowart0003

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Hi All,

I've just tested the temperature gauge on my K11 because I read about it on a internet to find out how badly the H/Gasket could be damaged buy testing how quickly it would be to overheats if it the gauge needle goes into the red in 10 minutes then the damage is to greater. So I turn the engine on and let it warmed up and the gauge set itself at the half way marker them I ran it for another half an hour with no change, so I believe that the H/G problem can be fixed by the H/gasket sealant steel seal. But first I have to replace the thermostat which I believe is the main cause of the problems in the first place as it kept itself closed and then the engine overheated as no water got inside. I’m little scared that I will break something if I try this myself, what I really need is someone to tell me if I’m doing it right and would step in if it goes pear shaped any ideas ? I’m in Croydon, London area.

Yours Yeowart0003
Have you a Haynes manual? Probably the best bet if you are looking into doing stuff to the car

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

HI LiamC, Yes I have a haynes manual but that doesn't mean I can just jumpin & hope for the best. I have to think carfully before I even think & pray that I get the removal & refitting done perfectly. The manual does mention liquid gasket (which I have ) but the thermostat I bought came with about 5 different gaskets & 2 rubber ones which I would think go inside with the thermstat. But do I need the other gaskets if I have liquid gasket?

yours Yeowart0003

The thermostat housing can be sealed with a liquid gasket sealant. There's a groove in the housing you need to clean out the old stuff from it to make sure it seals well on refitting. I had to loosen the metal water pipe slightly to get to it easier. It's just a 30 min job really. Takes longer letting the sealant cure.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk