How do you know if timing chain has been replaced ?

I have recently bought a 2004 1.0 k12 micra with 83,000 miles , the engine is running perfectly and is very quiet on idle. The cars service history does not show any signs that the timing chain was replaced in the past. I am assuming it was done previously with this type of mileage? The car has some evidence of work carried out on it as there is some silicone gasket around the timing cover area and on the sump gasket. This has a slight leak and is wet. I have had the sump gasket resealed but did not have the timing cover area resealed.

Could anybody give me an idea of this please see pictures attached.

Thanks

Jack

Attachments

• IMG_6485.PNG
    IMG_6485.PNG
    156.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_6486.PNG
    IMG_6486.PNG
    140.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6487.PNG
    IMG_6487.PNG
    147.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6488.PNG
    IMG_6488.PNG
    167 KB · Views: 238
I have recently bought a 2004 1.0 k12 micra with 83,000 miles , the engine is running perfectly and is very quiet on idle. The cars service history does not show any signs that the timing chain was replaced in the past. I am assuming it was done previously with this type of mileage? The car has some evidence of work carried out on it as there is some silicone gasket around the timing cover area and on the sump gasket. This has a slight leak and is wet. I have had the sump gasket resealed but did not have the timing cover area resealed.

Could anybody give me an idea of this please see pictures attached.

Thanks

Jack
Its hard to know that. Car with timing belt are easy to know if t-belt have been recently change.

Back