How do I make my 1.0 gx K11 fast?

Recently bought a 2002 k11
1.0 gx model.
Its running around 53bhp which has surely decreased over the years. I'd like to know the cheapest way to make it alot quicker? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I was advised on turbo'n it but not sure where to start or even if that's the best way to make it faster?

First car maybe (?) I'd leave her like she is until you can upgrade to a ready made 1.3 or 1.4
Being cheeky.....I'd learn to drive first.
Put a cone filter on her, it will not make her faster but her response to the throttle will be better, and at least you will feel like you have a 3Litre engine under the bonnet.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
About 50 odd years ago I asked myself the same question about my first car, an 850 Mini. I answered it by stripping the engine, having the block line bored for cam bearings, got the crank, rods and pistons lightened and balanced, (rods shot peened and polished) replaced the cam with 2A948 Cooper cam and the timing chain and sprockets with duplex Cooper S parts, had the cylinder head machined to raise the CR, and had the combustion chambers reshaped and balanced, and inlet and exhaust ports reshaped and polished. I re-assembled the engine and re-fitted it along with a Janspeed inlet manifold and a 1 1/2 SU card and a Cooper three branch exhaust manifold, job done....... sadly the same exercise these days would cost an absolute fortune, but boy did it go, I set the red line at 7500 rpm (it peaked at 8000!) and it would comfortably rev to 7000 in top gear, about 105mph :cool:

Last edited:
About 50 odd years ago I asked myself the same question about my first car, an 850 Mini. I answered it by stripping the engine, having the block line bored for cam bearings, got the crank, rods and pistons lightened and balanced, (rods shot peened and polished) replaced the cam with 2A948 Cooper cam and the timing chain and sprockets with duplex Cooper S parts, had the cylinder head machined to raise the CR, and had the combustion chambers reshaped and balanced, and inlet and exhaust ports reshaped and polished. I re-assembled the engine and re-fitted it along with a Janspeed inlet manifold and a 1 1/2 SU card and a Cooper three branch exhaust manifold, job done....... sadly the same exercise these days would cost an absolute fortune, but boy did it go, I set the red line at 7500 rpm (it peaked at 8000!) and it would comfortably rev to 7000 in top gear, about 105mph :cool:
I would have just bought a car with a bigger engine....lol

OP
OP
LiamMc
First car maybe (?) I'd leave her like she is until you can upgrade to a ready made 1.3 or 1.4
Being cheeky.....I'd learn to drive first.
Put a cone filter on her, it will not make her faster but her response to the throttle will be better, and at least you will feel like you have a 3Litre engine under the bonnet.
This is my first car I've owned, I have been a named driver on multiple other cars though. A 1.4 vvt-i auris, a 2.0 v-tec Honda accord around 146bhp I think, a 1.7 diesel executive meriva 130bhp, 2.0hdi 306 and a 2.0hdi 406, a 1.4 civic sport and most recently a 1.6 vauxhall zafira. I picked my micra up for £150 with 71,000 miles on her.... She's just too slow so I wanna make a sleeper out of her. I don't mind getting her to around 110-120bhp to start off with as she weighs very little so with the power to weight ratio I'm expecting her to be quite nippy, eventually I will push for more. I'm no mechanic though so just need some micra maniacs to help me out with some useful info

Sent from my F3211 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Fit a Nissan Almera N15 air box and a Pipercross performance air filter, you get a marked improvement in pick-up and a deeper induction growl! B-)
1488667169592.jpg