How can i test water pump?

My reseve coolant is disapearing at alarming rate also i seen activity form my thermostat in car.

For example half the reserve goes in a day an the temp guage in car goes up to half after driving for 10 mins! (i usualy never see it do anything!)

I draind my rad today and added coolant as ive not been adding any!

Im starting to think my water pump if mullerd!

Is there a way i can remove one of the tubes to the rad turn engine over and watch water get jettet out to test if pump is functional?

If so how?

CHEERS ALL

Sure its not a headgasket?

I guess you could just pull of the return pipe to the rad and see if it pumps out on tick over...

How long have you been driving? The temp guage is supposed to do that, but it sounds like you also have a genuine problem. Have you tried looking for leaks?

There is a way you can remove one of the tubes to the rad, remove one of the tubes.

k11dude

with a cold engine (thermostat closed) there should be a healthy flow from the heater inlet hose at tickover, and 1/2 on the guage in 10 mins sounds ok to me

Well you have a leak, either internal or external. If its the water pump all you need do is look at it and see if its leaking. The only other fault you get with a pump is not flowing which is not your problem as its disappearing. Best thing to do is a pressure test and see where its coming out. If its not then compression test it.

Thanks for the replys.

Been a week now since flushing rad and adding engine coolant (not water). Reserve went down half way after few days. Toped up with more engine coollant and since then iv not had any troubles with reseve dissapearing.

WTF, 1 day leaking, next few days its stoped!

So i have no idea if i have a problem or not

Will keep an eye on it.

At least it aint overheating

Back