How can I read my ECU error codes?

Hi all,

I've already posted about a fuelling problem I have atm, I'm just wondering though if anyone knows how I can read the fault codes on my ECU?

Is there a tool out there where I can hook it up to a computer and read any error codes which might be coming out of it please?

Thanks.

i'll have a look at Haynes when I get home then thanks, didnt' expect it to be in there if im honest. I think in any case I'll need a lead which goes from the ECU to a computer though...

cheers James, I have emailed Ed, but with regards to that guide of Ed's, I wanted to know if the fault codes would flash on my dash somehow even though I havn't got NATS (so off the top of my head dont think I've actually got a picture of an engine to flash the error code at me)

Another thought I had was that what happens if I miss the error code first time, will it repeat it if I stick the paperclip in again?

Also - does anyone know if the error codes here : http://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/ProdPDF/DRA69058ins.pdf would be the same if I put a paperclip in the holes as Ed's site than if I used the Draper tool you can get please?

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
you will have the light, it's an engine check light, not just nats. if yours doesn't light up with just ignition on and engine not running, then your bulb may have blown.

Thanks - I've lost my Haynes and im really annoyed so can't tell where the ECU is, I know vaguely as I've seen the RAC guy look at it.

you will have the light, it's an engine check light, not just nats. if yours doesn't light up with just ignition on and engine not running, then your bulb may have blown.

whats the light look like?

Although what I would like to know is

1) what happens if I put the paperclip in and I miss the error code? Can I get it to repeat the code if I do it again?

2) do you put the paperclip in the two holes then take it out, or do you leave the paperclip in while the error code is flashed up?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Read the guide I did. The K11 is the same if you read it all first it explains everything :)

Its not that I dont trust him, but my Haynes says the bottom left two as well (page 4A.8 in Haynes) . How come Ed, any ideas?

I dont want to install Doom onto my ECU or something by probing the wrong pins :p

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Ok I have updated my page to make more sense now. I have been meaning to do that for ages!

Brilliant Ed, I understand much better - thanks a lot.

I phoned Nissan earlier and asked them and the mechanic said he wouldn’t comment and would charge me £42 just to have a look at it and plug in his fault code finder. I told him I’ve heard you can get this error code by using just a paperclip and he said well if you do that then you’ll render the ECU dead. I’m going to try Eds method in the bottom two sockets – hopefully tonight – and then I can see if the ECU knows about any errors. I’m hoping its just a sensor, a cheap one at that.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I dont like saying this but allot (not all) of Nissan dealerships know far less about their own car systems than they would like to admit.

Ed

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
It's a shame but money makes the world go around and free advice doesn't make profits. That's why we try to keep as much info going, so we can sort most problems ourselves.

There's only 1 dealer in the UK that my car ever goes to and that's Matt's :)