Hotwired,stolen,recovered. Battery dead. Best replacement?

G

gdrenfrew

The original battery in my K10 is totally flat, and won't hold it's charge so I'll need to get a replacement. Can some kind fellow owner please advise?

Living a dodgy bit of North London, bl**dy kids on my street peeled the driver door back, hotwired my 1991 K10, then left it round the corner with the lights and stereo on all night. And Hubba Bubba wrappers everywhere.

Got the RAC out and the chap did a sterling job of rewiring the torn ignition and jump started it. After an hours driving, the car would restart. After sitting for 5 hours, it started again, but laboured to do so. Unfortunately, the battery didn't hold the charge overnight, and wouldn't turn over this morning. RAC guy said the battery was so old he had his doubts, and thought it'd need replaced.

I'm at work and don't have my Haynes manual to check what kind of replacement battery I'll need, and possibly (forgive me :p) the Halfords equivalent that could be used...

Can someone suggest the appropriate battery please? (There's no fancy stereo equipment or any custom electronics that would require a high capacity model. "Bog Standard" is my car's middle name).

Thanks

according to my Haynes, you need a maintenance-free battery with a capacity of 30 amp/hr

Goto halfords. They sell them no problem. Nothing complex. Just read the list. If i remember correctly (which is unlikely) the code is 063 Anyway its the only small battery with small round terminals. (may have spacers ontop to make them universal which you need to remove)

Is it quite easy to hotwire K10 then?

I managed to get in mine when my brother locked the keys in the boot. 30seconds and one wire coathanger = open door!

I shocked myself how easy it was.

RE: RE: Hotwired,stolen,recovered. Battery dead. Best replacement?

Tesla said:
Is it quite easy to hotwire K10 then?

I managed to get in mine when my brother locked the keys in the boot. 30seconds and one wire coathanger = open door!

I shocked myself how easy it was.

Seemed to be. Kids though, made a bit of a hash of it (ie peeling the door back, v obvious that it's stolen if they drive past anyone - though I managed to bend it back into shape with just minor crinkles).

[EDIT By Author]Hotwiring instructions are trade-secrets...[/EDIT], They could have just turned the ignition with a screwdriver if they'd tried as the key has been worn smooth with age.

Thanks to all the respondents regards the battery. It's an HB054 or HB154 that Halfords list recommended, with the smaller points.

Jim said:
according to my Haynes, you need a maintenance-free battery with a capacity of 30 amp/hr
After being left standing with no staff for near ten minutes I ripped cellophane off Haynes manual on rack to double check (which I wouldn't normally do of course!), you were spot on.

Will give it a try when I get home (lugging battery on Tube is not going to be fun). Hope it's not the re-wired ignition that's at fault, might cause the power to leak when the ignition's off.... :(

Attachments

• front of k10t.jpg
    front of k10t.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 415
RE: RE: Hotwired,stolen,recovered. Battery dead. Best replacement?

Dusk said:
good idea, tell people how easy it is, tehn tell them which wires...
jeese...

Google told me.

nissan sell the factory batterys for like 27 pound i think it is and please refrain from talking about hotwiring cars we dont all want are cars stolen

i had my car broken into before, passenger door peeled back, still has is war wounds! They tried to break the steering lock but got disturbed my my mates and ran off. I tried to have a look at fixing it i accidently hotwired it! It had obviously been done before and the wire fell out and hotwired itself, it's stupid, made me re-think the whole idea of doing up my car! So i just got a top of the range alarm and 2 point immobilisor (and central locking while i was at it!) and it hasnt been touched since!

muppets dont seem to come back when they have tried nicking a car and been distrubed, and if they did then would of seen the flashing light from the alarm!

I think they might have tried before, as the passenger window was slightly down a few weeks back, which was unusual. I've got a StopLock thing on it now, so hopefully that'll be a bit of a deterrent.

Also, I've replaced the battery tonight and the car started fine, though a little rough sounding on first turning it over.

Found the bracket holding points after much fumbling about in the dark.

Hopefully the little blighters will leave my car alone and go and play with buses instead.

Gr

Don't worry guys I aint gonna nick anything, espescially your Micras.

One K10 is enough! LOL! All the power!

i had mine broken into a while back too i removed the door pins thought so they put the window through but it took them a lot longer to get in, should have put the alarm on :(

Back