Horror Stories

So I'm back off my holiday and back looking for a nice new Micra. Problem is they're all god-awful. So far there's been a 1.0 facelift with some of the dodgiest sill welding I've ever seen for £790, a £400 1.3 pre-facelift with 100,000 on the clock that seemed to be alright, until I realised the gearbox seemed to be made of sand and pebbles. The worst one was the one I just saw; front right arch rotted to hell on the inside, a hole in the exhaust just after the manifold and so much oil on the underside of the engine it looked like it'd been shipped over here in an oil tanker. All for the bargain price of £990 with no tax or MOT too boot! :eek:

Unfortunately they were the best ones around, so now I'm stuck waiting for something new to come up. Anyone else got any horror stories of Micras they've seen?

When I was looking for my first car (2005) I went to look at a 95 (M reg) K11 in Red...1.0, 3 door
...can't remember, but I think it was a matinee?...
anyway was "only" £550...80,000 on the clock....and parked with its Near side suspiciously close to a wall :rolleyes:
the young lady owner had spent the last 4 hours cleaning it...apparently :p
...the boot was full of hay/straw and the engine bay looked like you could have milked it for grease LOL
...along with a substantial "minor cosmetic" gouge in the passenger door :D
...oddly enough we walked away ;)

...and I ended up spending £200 on a 1990 (G-reg) K10 1.0 LS with 120,000 miles on her, some interesting wheel barrow tracks on the roof and a wall light switch fitted to the dash for the reversing light...LOVED IT! ^_^

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Before I found Layla I was looking at some HEAPS. Being new to the Micra scene I expected them to be all like that. Saw a facelift that looked like it had never been washed, inside or out, and was so scratched it needed a full respray.
A nicer red facelift, but again, absolutely bloody filthy on the inside, child seat still in it, passenger seat down, it was almost like the guy, very nice young Indian man, wasn't actually trying to sell it :rolleyes:
And one with a completely done in engine. I was about to give up and go look at Daihatsu's..

when I was assessing a 97 vibe for a friend it seemed ok initially from the outside but dig abit further in and the rotten lemon reveals itself and the dealer wasn't pleased with my thoroughness lol
there was a reason why it was soo cheap

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-58#post-524032
tytu5esy.jpg

Sorry
u7epa5am.jpg

sorry polly is that ok welded a peice of metal to make it longer and got a longer bent fits ok

pollyp

Club Member
azzy please post stuff like that on ur own relevant threads and not just bomb/spam other ppls threads to grab my attention, ta
and no, the alternator assembly should be anchored to the engine block cos the engine vibrates and actually moves about.
bolting one end to the solid chassis, the weak weld will eventually fail.

I was super keen on buying a black S facelift over my celebration. Took my mum and dad, the crossmember was welded but was barely on. Upon further inspection the clutch bearing had nearly gone as well as the car had clearly been hit on one side in it's life, the panels gave a really jaggy reflection on one side compared to the other.

Once rang up one guy who had a celebration with racing stripes (alarm bells were ringing then) for £300 with MOT and needed new CV boots, I was pretty eager and said 'so, how is it?' The guy snapped back and said 'what do you mean?! It's a £300 car!'

Also saw a few in Leeds that were definitely dodgy, got there and they'd been keyed 'that night'. Upon starting the car there was a horrific screeching noise that our Yaris had before we part exchanged it and was told 'bit of WD40, be reyt' . Then I got shown a Polo (broken electrics, flat battery) A focus that was 1.8l and way out of my price range. I told them I could probably afford the car but not the insurance and they told me to ring my insurance company now handing me a phone. Extremely rude people. All of this was whilst 2/3 people were coming back with cars saying they were unsafe!

The £250 Celebration that had been smoked in, had hardly any interior and no locks was amazing compared to any of them!

Got mine for £700 in the end £500+ loads of welding, least I know it should last too.

It's pretty amazing how much car you can get for £500 but it needs a bit of effort!

Bought my micra from wales had a small crash on the way back with a lorry, worst part is that the car had been built by Christian, still getting my head around the electrics, good job its coming out