Horn Broken

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hi All.

:k10: My K10 Micra's horn has just stopped working.

What should I check first? I don't really wanna have to take the steering wheel off, but I will if thats where the problem is.

Does anyone know where the horn is actually located?

Thank You!

p.s. absolutely LOVE the forums, been using them for months for reference, and finally needed to register and say hello :wasntme:

p.p.s. Got the exhaust (rear box) changed yesterday... is £47 a fair deal? I feel it might have been a little expensive. Still, the last exhaust lasted 4 and a half years so it looks like I wont have to worry about changing that again :kungfu:

The horn itself is located behind one of the headlights in the engine bay.

But your first port of call should be to check and change the fuse as that is probably the most likely thing to have gone...

Welcome to the club

I think to check the horn's connector, you dont actually need to take the steering wheel off.. i think the horn button will just prise out? but as Jim said, check the fuse first!

Also you may want to disconnect the battery if you remove the horn button as it'l keep going off when you're trying to put it back in otherwise lol

Arnold

Blown fuse :grinning:

While I was at it, I did a few other things... things that perhaps I should have put more thought int :glance:

I put 1 cap of redex into the petrol tank... :love: (probably about 5ml)

And I filled up the oil... and now its a bit ...er ...above full :girly:

Nah, it'll be ok!

Love the smilies here!! :wow: < that dude has 3 eyes!

Now its off to school, and the exams!! :devil:

Turtle said:
And I filled up the oil... and now its a bit ...er ...above full

Nah, it'll be ok!

If you have overfilled the oil, I would think about draining a bit out as having too much is just as bad as having too little. If you start smoking a bit out the back, then you'll know you've overfilled.

Thanks for the advice Jim.

I saw no smoke today, and I made it to the exams (easy peasy... :sick: )

Im not sure that I have overfilled it, my dipstick is pretty rubbish. :wasntme:

I know my car leaks a little oil somewhere anyway, so if it were slightly overfilled it'll be normal soon :unclesam:

Does anyone know the difference (in litres) between the min and the max? I put in about 1 litre and it was just below the min before I filled it.

Thank You! :laugh:

Turtle said:
Im not sure that I have overfilled it, my dipstick is pretty rubbish.

A tip for reading the oil level more accurately is to read the dipstick from the back of it, rather than the front, as I have often found the front to get oil on it when you lift it out.

Thanks for that tip Jim

How smokey would it be if I had over filled? And what colour smoke would I expect? There was a little bit of white smoke this morning, but I think thats when it was cold... and thats normal right?

How far above the Max line before I consider draining some out? :suspect:

If anything the car was running alot better this morning than normal, I love my micra :laugh:

Turtle said:
Thanks for that tip Jim

How smokey would it be if I had over filled? And what colour smoke would I expect? There was a little bit of white smoke this morning, but I think thats when it was cold... and thats normal right?

perfectly fine at this time of year mate, if you overfilled id expect some white smoke to come out

Turtle said:
How far above the Max line before I consider draining some out? :suspect:

when you first fill the oil up it may over read as the filter wont have taken in any oil give it a short run first and read it after the cars cooled down you may find its then fine. if its more than say 1-2mm over the line drain a little out

Turtle said:
If anything the car was running alot better this morning than normal, I love my micra :laugh:

alot of people underestimate what a good service and tune can do for your car its by far one of the best ways of improving your cars performance, better than sticking a bloody great cone filter on or something like that :D

hope this helps :)

As has been said over fill is bad under is bad. Must be between the two lines. The best way to check is in the morning after its sat over night, use a cloth to whipe oil from the dipstick then measure and check. Nothing more to it.

(remineds me of when I was 17 with my first micra lol)

Think my car might have an oil leak fwn

Oil is at half way now, when it was topped up last week.

Ground is wet now, but when its dry i'll look for spots on the drive...

Back