• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Hoopdubs polo 9n (its no micra!!)

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
so a couple of months ago i made a big decision, the misses polo had a caput engine, we got her another car, and we tried selling the polo as a repairable because its in real good condition appart from the poopoo engine. No joy, plenty of messers, and i mean plenty!!! 3 cars and only 2 spaces to park something had to give, i had to put my beloved micra up for sale, what ever went first i would keep the leftovers and either have to fix the polo, or keep enjoying the micra.

within hours of my micra being up for sale it was gone :( sad times. I can honestly say after being in the dub scene most of my driving life, and having atleast 20 vws pass through me, the love, time, effort and fun i had with the micra will never be matched.

so i was left with a polo i dont particularly like with a terrible 3 cylinder engine with an oil addiction. JOY!!!

first job was to get a new engine. Not as easy as you may think, VW supreceeded the design of these units a few times because the problems with vale ware, stem seal issues, and timing chain failiure. So getting one with the same engine code would meat at best they are 7 years old, and will be prone to all the problems. so i opted for an updated version from a 2009 VW FOX, bit the bullet and hoped i could get it to fit and work on the earlyer system, £450 later i find one.

the ride

p9.jpg

the new lump

20121015_160334.jpg

the day of reconing

20121020_112505.jpg

20121020_112447.jpg

20121020_122409.jpg

there were a few obsticle i had to get around, but it went in no trouble, runs an does not drink as much oil as it does fuel. also the engine was so light i didnt need a hoist, basicaly lifted it in and out on my tod.

copped some 16" beetle alloys from work, banged on some new 195/45 tyres and slapped them on.

20121021_163118.jpg

i have copilovers for it, but im not fitting them till the new year, mot in january, and the weather and roads are poope at the moment.

i sold the beetle alloys last week and now im back on standard steels for the winter. although i have got my new wheels in the making. 16" vw steels, banded from 6.5" to 8.5" for the rear. undecided on widths for the front yet, will see when i trial fit the rear when the coilovers are on.

so for now that is all, will update when i do more :D

quite poope to be honest, dont get warm as quick as the micra did, and stupid computerised flap motors instead of bits of wire to operate them, WTF modern times lick balls. I also ripped out all of the AC components when i swapped the engine, saved me lugging 30kg around for the 2 weeks a year it may be usefull

oo err! Not been so sure on these ones... not seen a proper modified one of these. I am a huge fan of dubs though. Looking forward to what you do with this. Thought it was a mk4 Golf you had looking at the surrounds of your headunit you have for sale lmao.

Very clean looking car. How does it run with the fox engine in? I want one of these myself, instead of my micra. I've seen quite a few nicely modified ones on clubpolo and the edition38 forums :)

runs fine. guttless, but it is a 1.2 3 cyl :S

there are some nice ones about. more so in europe. idealy i need to be on air, bit expensive though :D

runs fine. guttless, but it is a 1.2 3 cyl :S

there are some nice ones about. more so in europe. idealy i need to be on air, bit expensive though :D

No need for air just do what a guy done to his Clio in my local area and run with no springs at all ;) haha

6yzuheme.jpg

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

nooooo noooo noooo noooo, lol i need comfort, and the flexibility to be low when i want, but lift it because the roads are poope mainly :D plus speed bumps :D i may gradually get air bit by bit, works out cheaper then, get stuff from the states also cheaper.

fair bit has changed. one of them being me moving the pics into an album in photobucket thus losing all the above remote links (douche) will try and rectify when i get 5.

anyway, now looks like this

20130305_135737_zpsbd94d9d0.jpg

late spec tail lights
20130303_124631_zps3aa49f06.jpg

i still dont like it. infact its been lowered and on the wheels about 10 days. probably going to put it back standard on weekend.

Back