• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Hoodedreeper's New Polo Project

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Yup...you heard! Ive got a new project! Me and my work mate will be doing this together,but i'll be the one posting the updates.

Should get it first week of June hopefully

VW Polo Mk2 1989
1.0L 4speed (oh yeaaah!)

polo3.jpg

polo2.jpg

polo1.jpg

Plans:

New Exhaust
New Rear Window
New Wing
And anything else it needs lol

Then the restoration/modifying begins!

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Cracking. I've had a brace of Mk2 Polos, two breaddys and a classic (saloon). Excellent cars, very reliable and very hard to kill.

Thats a great colour you guys have there. It's tried and tested and because of that it puts a lot of folk off, but you could do much worse than dumping it over a set of 13x7 classics and calling it finished.

1300 GT motor and 5 speed from a coupe would perc it up nicely.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Got the Polo last night and took some pics after work today:

IMG_5297.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

Front 70mm Lowering Springs compared to the Standard springs:

IMG_5299.jpg

The rear springs have been fitted (as you can see) so will get the fronts fitted to even it out. One of the alloys have got a slow puncture hence the steelie lol

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small update:

Bought a Haynes Manual off Ebay for 99p...bargain!

I also hunted the internet for a Bonnet Bra,looked on Ebay and there was a 2nd hand one for sale. Luckily i won the winning bid and it arrived today:

IMG_5336.jpg

You can see the condition of the wing:

IMG_5339.jpg

Also the condition of the rear window. Ive got a whole tail gate ready to swap it with. But its currently red,so will spray it up and then swap it.

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

As you can see the drivers window has been smashed. Ive got a new window,just need to find time to swap it over. Also clear out all the glass thats inside

kamisama

Ex. Club Member
good ol breadvan, chop them springs and chop the exhaust of make it side exit, buy a roof rack and your away lol heres a pic of my old rat lol:
2094561827a4364658465b984646167l-1.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Done some more work to the Polo today:

Red Pin Striped the Grille:
IMG_5354.jpg

Front Wing removed:
IMG_5355.jpg

And the dented wing off:
IMG_5357.jpg

Set of 4 steelies for £10
IMG_5364.jpg

Also,cleaned the whole interior as glass was EVERYWHERE,came up a treat :)
IMG_5371.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

Rear Bumper removed and started to be sanded down,ready for a lick of paint (front bumper has been removed aswell)
IMG_5375.jpg

Next plan is to drill the rear window rivets out and clean the silicone up ready for the new window to be fitted. New exhaust has been paid for and i'll collect it next week (new mid pipe,back box,all gaskets/rubbers/clamps...£28!)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Some more camo detailing:

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

I have done the VW badge aswell,but the photo didnt come out too well

Petrol Flap:
IMG_5401.jpg

Now these new lamps are SHOW USE ONLY and will be removed for the MOT (unless they're see-able once fitted to the car) I started to run outta tint spray,and didnt realise how dark they came out :(

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

Bumpers have now been painted gloss black,but unfortunately dont have any photos yet

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Just realised i didnt post the previous update,here it is:

Exhaust had fallen off upon collecting the car,me and a mate fitted a new one:

Exhaust fallen off:
IMG_5376.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

New one fitted:
IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

Ive decided on a theme for the 'ol Gal...can you guess what it is?
IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

And on the car:
IMG_5384.jpg

And some minor detailing:
IMG_5386.jpg

Alloys have been sold and steelies are now on the car. Got plans in mind for wheels but all depends on measurements/money

Sunday we'll be adjusting the handbrake,bleeding the brakes and tweaking the exhaust

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small Update...unfortunately no photos:

- Polo 6n Steelies fitted w/ centre caps
- Rear Window Glass fitted
- Dented wing re-fitted ready for MOT (about 1 week wait for a brand new one)
- Front and Rear bumpers painted gloss black and fitted
- New Number Plates

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Went down to Ipswich last night to collect some new shoes for the Polo:

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

And a very very quick photoshop how im hoping they'll look like after the re-furb (lip will be same colour as the car)

alloyps.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
As promised...more photos! The car isnt officially on the road as of yet. Due to a slight hick-up with the brake pedal. Fingers crossed that'll be sorted beginning part of next week.

The reason theres been a lack of updates is because the 'ol Gal has had a facelift.I'll let the photos do the talking :)

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
How she looks now...

Baring in mind the new wing is now painted,just needs fitting and vinyl added. Front suspension is now fitted and she now sits level :)

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

And a dodgy photo of the door graphic (no other pics sorry!)

IMG_6041.jpg

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Reeper - that's AWESOME! I actually had an AR15 until I sold it recently (my other hobby) :laugh:.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Nice paint work, what is involved in doing that, just a load of masking and painting?

How are the brakes on it? I hear they are pretty non-existent as standard.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Its all vinyl :)

Brakes are pants. MOT station is being picky at the moment and not putting it through due to the brakes. But theres nothing i can do about it :(

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Theres a garage down the road who does things the old school way.So gonna ring him tomorrow and fingers crossed it can be booked in asap :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
The polo originally failed the MOT on welding,front shock,number plate lights and the handbrake cable hanging. Got all that sorted and took her for the retest. They oborted the MOT due to the exhaust having a blow and not enough fluid. So upon collecting the car,they said i've lost all the brake fluid,probs due to a leak. Got the car home and there were NO leaks and the bottle was full.

Took it into another garage to get the rear cylinders looked at and 1 cylinder was leaking. Changed both cylinders and apprently the bleed nipple on the front calipers are corroded,and he wasnt able to bleed the front.

So now ive got a 2 new cylinders which have been bled,but not the front. The garage was trying to get 2 new calipers outta me,so i told them where to go and i collect the car tomorrow.

All mk1,mk2 and mk3 Polos have crap brakes. Its all because they dont have a Servo. I tried telling the MOT station but they werent listening :(

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
If there's not a servo they should just push harder on the brake pedal. It's obviously just to get more money out of you to fix it.

Have you thought about upgrading the brake system to include a servo? Golf?

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Got her an through an MOT yesterday and tax'd her aswell,so shes now fully road legal! Whoop! :D So got to work and sorted out a couple of things before going on the road:

- Front Wing now fitted & vinyled
- Bonnet sprayed Black

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

Guy

Club Member
Awesome - I really like that! What about fitting the servo from a golf or something to beef up the brakes?

Guy

Club Member
Cool. It's very common when restoring old Land Rovers. The brakes on my Series 3 when I had it were APPALLING!

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
My point is they see you with an explosive in your hand and they will make an assumption resulting in you getting shot lol. Does look sweet though.

ah yeh like here mate take a shot:laugh:
but he is right people got shot for less--the msc martyr :laugh:
just from beginig to end this cars transformed
what are the breaks saying you gonna put the servo in to aid breaking?

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
As the Polo was half clean half rat...i thought i'd add the last piece to the 'rat side'...its marmite but i like it :)

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7662.jpg

And a car hasnt got a HR touch without some funny/pointless window stickers!

IMG_7670.jpg

Guy

Club Member
Altogether now - "I don't know but I've been told, Eskimo p**** is mighty cold!" :laugh:.